jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Ambidextrous pitching

1. elisabeth reid profile image76
    elisabeth reidposted 9 years ago

There's a pitcher in A ball...can apparently pitch effectively both RH and LH.  Has a specially made glove that he can wear comfortably on both hands so he can switch from one to the other easily.

Can you imagine?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd … p;c_id=mlb

Video of the at-bat:
    http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200806202968278

That poor batter didn't know what was going on.

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 9 years ago

Sounds like quite a difficulty for batters. Been wondering where I heard this before. But didn't. Just occurred to me. The A's or someone had a one-handed pitcher. Kept his glove on his stump till after he threw the ball, and then switched it onto his good hand. Something similar. Hope I get to, and would love to
    see this ambidextrous pitcher. That would be something new
    and interesting.

3. crashcromwell profile image82
    crashcromwellposted 9 years ago

Yeah, I saw that video on the news. That's one for the ages.

I can't remember the name of the one-armed pitcher, but I know he spent some time in New York. I don't think he was in Oakland, but may have been with the Angels. It's a pretty simple name, as I recall.

4. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 9 years ago

Jim Abbott. Angels, NY, Chicago and Milwaukee.

1. crashcromwell profile image82
      crashcromwellposted 9 years ago in reply to this

Yes! That's the one! You know what they say - short-term memory is second to go......and I forgot what goes first!

5. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 9 years ago

That's amazing.  To have that level of proficiency with either hand or arm is amazing.  And that glove.  Six fingers and two webbings.  What a trip.  Thanks for sharing this.

6. Morrikai profile image59
    Morrikaiposted 8 years ago

greg harris for the red sox a while back could pitch with both arms

7. elisabeth reid profile image76
    elisabeth reidposted 8 years ago

He could...but he didn't until just before he retired.  Wasn't allowed to (how stupid is that?).  And he walked the one batter he faced from the other side of the mound, if I'm remembering right.

working