jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)

Is Shawn Chacon finished?

1. elisabeth reid profile image75
    elisabeth reidposted 8 years ago

Houston released him today, following a physical altercation with the team manager in the dining hall over the move they wanted to make taking him out of the starting rotation and pitching him out of the bullpen (personally, I would've liked to see them bench him for the rest of the year -- zero playing time -- but I know it's not a reasonable action).

Do you think he's finished or will someone else pick him up?

2. guidebaba profile image61
    guidebabaposted 8 years ago

Maybe someone else will pick him up.

3. elisabeth reid profile image75

I dunno...I know I'd be nervous if my team was looking at signing him.  I'm thinking that he's gonna float around for a while.  You've gotta figure if the 'stros can justify releasing due to a breach of contract, he's gonna be poison for a while.

1. crashcromwell profile image80
      crashcromwellposted 8 years ago in reply to this

There are lots of bad boys in sports, yet most of them seem to find a home. I suspect Chacon will be another, albeit at a significant pay cut.

4. DJ Funktual profile image87
    DJ Funktualposted 8 years ago

Chacon was a real second half sparkplug for the yanks one year.  People that can handle that kind of pressure are rare AND Houston is about as far away from NY as you can get. 

My NY Mets might need a fifth starter.   Did anyone see that freak accident where John Maine injured his non-throwing forearm during a pitch?  Weird stuff.  In the 6th too.

We are so close to the Phils even though our season was terrible thus far.
    We need to win the rest of the games at Philly and we'll be 2& 1/2 back with 2 months to go. 

I'll tell ya it wasn't classy how they fired Randolph but it was necessary.  they all say it's a breath of fresh air and if Jerry Manuel keeps winning the interum part of his job might disappear quick. 

He knows how historic it would be to be the manager when our new Brooklyn style park is unveiled next year. The firsts are always remembered. 

Do I want Chacon???    Sure, if he can still bring it.

5. thranax profile image57
    thranaxposted 8 years ago

I'm sure he will get signed, maybe not for awhile but he should.

6. DJ Funktual profile image87

He's a lefty.  end of story right?   they last forever.

7. elisabeth reid profile image75

I dunno...he's a lefty, but he ain't all that and a bag o' chips.  He just thinks he is.  He played for the Rockies a few years back and had a big ol' chip on his shoulder back then.  At the time I wondered if it was frustration because he was pitching at this altitude (this was pre-humidor, I think) but his problems seemed to follow him.

I dunno.  Until recently (today, actually), my Cubbies have needed a starter -- and I'd rather have seen them stick with the rookies they've been using than sign Chacon. 

One of these days it's gonna click for Rich Hill again -- can't be too soon, if you ask me (of course Hendry and Co. never do -- go figure).  He's not ready yet, though.

tongue

8. DJ Funktual profile image87

those type of guys aren't good for very long either, cause the clubhouse hates them.
    Thanks for the insight.

9. elisabeth reid profile image75

They create dissent wherever they go and a team *might* be able to justify them if they put up good enough numbers, but they have to be really good numbers because eventually they're gonna bring down the rest of the team. 

Chacon's numbers are no where near good enough.

working