Jayson Werth Signs 7-Year, $126 Million Contract with Nationals

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (15 posts)
  1. bogerk profile image69
    bogerkposted 13 years ago

I am not sure what is more surprising about this. The fact that it was the Washington Nationals who signed Werth, instead of the Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees or other obvious candidates or the length and amount of the contract.

$18 million a season for a player who is past his prime in terms of baseball age, has only been a full-time starter for 2 years in his career and plays a position where offense can be found for cheaper.

Baseball contracts are getting out of control!

2. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 13 years ago

Interesting commentary. I'd personally rather win than max my earning potential.

bogerkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It does seem like an odd choice. I imagine the Boston Red Sox would have entered the bidding wars during the Winter Meetings.

Even if the Red Sox didn't offer as much, it probably would have been close with the added bonus of competing for the World Series as soon as 2011.

The Washington Nationals are at least 2-3 years away from seriously competing for their division, let alone the World Series.

3. LakeShow T profile image74
    LakeShow Tposted 13 years ago

It didn't make any sense to me either. Mind boggling. I think Bogerk is spot on with all of his analysis of the deal. My initial thought when I saw it was how out of character it was for the Nationals to spend that kind of money on anyone. There were many questions as to whether the Nats would even be able to sign Stephen Strasburg or their first pick this past season, Bryce Harper because they are just still so far away. This signing makes no sense to me from the Nats perspective.

On the other hand, it makes sense to me from Werth's perspective. He has already won the World Series, lost in another, and contended to make others. He did all of this while putting up strong numbers and was still overshadowed by other big-named teammates. He's been pretty under appreciated in my opinion. Perhaps he thought this particular situation was perfect because he can make more money than he would have ever dreamed of and can be the stand out offensive player on a team. I'm probably just playing devil's advocate here though.

Regardless, it was an eye opening deal to say the least from both sides.

It definitely was eye opening and possibly a horrible precedence. To pay a guy $18 million a season who has never hit .300 or 100 RBI and plays a relatively replaceable position, I just don't get it.

I'm a Brewers fan and am glad they locked up Corey Hart mid-season like they did. While he probably isn't quite as good as Jayson Werth, for about $10 million less a year, he is a hell of a bargain.

4. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

his agent is good, LOL -- he will be 39 after the contract!!

5. bewilderize profile image57
    bewilderizeposted 13 years ago

I'm a Phillies. Although I was sad to see him go, there is no way that he is worth $18M a year. That's ridiculous money. That's the type of money reserved for an MVP or multiple Cy Young winner. Washington will regret this deal 3 years down the road.

That being said, I have read that Washington's purpose for doing this was not just to show that D.C. can be a landing spot for free agents, but to build a team with a solid core that consists of the young and the veteran. They are trying to do what Detroit did years ago.

I still don't think it will work. He's basically just replacing Adam Dunn in the line-up.

6. jobister profile image61
    jobisterposted 13 years ago

I am Phillies fan as well, sad to see him leave as well. But is he making too much? Yes definitely, he has always been a role player and being clutch. He is definitely not the go to guy when the game is on the line. However, with the Nationals he can be that guy. I hope him and the Nationals best of luck with this transaction. The worst part about this deal is that other outfielders out there that are looking for a new contract will demand just as much if not more depending on their worth of course.

7. kingis profile image68
    kingisposted 13 years ago

Being from the hometown of Jayson Werth, I too, was shocked to see him sign with the Nationals.  I think that the Yankees had a very good shot of signing him because his step-dad played for them in the late 70's/early 80's.  He is a good player and continues to get better. At one time, he nearly retired due to injuries but turned his career around first in LA and later Phily.  He will be sorely missed in Phily but we have to see if the Nationals will build around him.

8. Mike Rogers profile image59
    Mike Rogersposted 13 years ago

This just HAS to be some sort of clerical error or temporary insanity situation with the Nats' front office.

There is no other explanation.

Mike

9. rotl profile image59
    rotlposted 13 years ago

Every year there are a few contracts that defy explanation. Inevitably, those guys become liabilities in a year or two and go down in bad contract history/infamy. A lot of them end up sitting at home a few years later collecting big paychecks.

10. I am DB Cooper profile image62
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

That's a little too much money and for far too long. I was really hoping Boston would be able to get a good deal on him as he was overshadowed by Carl Crawford, even though by many metrics Werth is the more valuable player, albeit older and closer to his "decline years".

What a lot of people undervalue in Werth is his eye at the plate. Despite having a lower batting average than Crawford, his on-base percentage was over 30 points higher because he walks so often. As a pure offensive player, he was more valuable last season than Crawford (75 extra-base hits vs. 62, plus he gets on base more often). Even factoring in Werth's home stadium advantage, his OPS+ is 145 vs Crawford's 134 (average is about 100, higher is better).

Carl Crawford doesn't have competition in the free agent market anymore, and that means big $$$ for him. The team that gets him is going to overpay just because they go ga-ga over his "all-around skills". Sure, he can hit and field and steal bases, but there are some deficiencies in his game. For one, he's a stolen base guy who doesn't do a good job of getting on base. A .337 career on-base percentage does not impress me. He also plays home games on an artificial surface, which benefits speed guys, so his on-base percentage might go down no matter where he moves to.

I was also hoping Werth would go to Boston, but for different reasons. I have him on Fantasy Baseball Team as a Keeper, but not I probably drop him.

I assume he will lose around 20 R and 20 RBI and maybe 3 HR or so batting in the Washington lineup and at their stadium. Plus now he has to face the Phillies rotation 18 times a year instead of the Nationals.

1. jobister profile image61
        jobisterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Very good point. I am not sure if he would be a stellar fantasy option. I am thinking his strikeouts are going to go up now that Adam Dunn is gone and supposedly he will be replacing him. I am not sure if he can fill in the shoes of Adam Dunn.

11. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

hes not past his prime, hes in it. hes worth 5years 60mill so the nats waaaaaay overpaid.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)