jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

What’s Going on with Peyton Manning

1. 53
    yoyo123posted 5 years ago

What’s Going on with Peyton Manning

2. LakeShow T profile image81
    LakeShow Tposted 5 years ago

Sure it's always easy to point the finger at the quarterback in situations like this, but his offensive line is not giving him ample time at the moment and half the team is injured at the skill positions. He is just trying to do too much right now in order to overcompensate for all of the team's holes at the moment. I think he has to in order to give his team a chance to win. That's how he's won an all-time NFL best 4 MVP awards. Even as great as he is though, it is not enough with how decimated this team is at the moment.

3. prettydarkhorse profile image64
    prettydarkhorseposted 5 years ago

I think he does not have much back up at the moment, agree with LakeShow!

4. jobister profile image60
    jobisterposted 5 years ago

He misses the core of his receiving group, Dallas Clark, Anthony Gonzalez and yes he does seem to be rushing his passes because of his poor decision. He lacks trust in the group of guys he has to play with now. Hopefully playing the Tennessee Titans tonight will cure him of that.

1. bogerk profile image86
      bogerkposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Dallas Clark was definitely his most comfortable option.

It is amazing how bad a QB can look when their starting TE goes down. The same thing happened to Aaron Rodgers earlier in the season after the first two or three games Jermichael Finley was out.

He looks to have got it back together recently, hopefully Manning will do the same.

5. Kidgas profile image79
    Kidgasposted 5 years ago

True statements to be sure.  They need to win out the rest of their games to have a decent chance in the playoffs.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Actually, if they win out they are guaranteed a playoff spot.  Beating Oakland and Jacksonville will however probably not happen.  I've never seen a team so decimated with injuries.

Peyton has had similar troubles before.  When the team is short handed, he feels the need to take outrageous risks to keep drives alive.  Oh well, there's always next year.

The best teams now all play in the NFC.  New England's deficiencies in defense and the running game will kill them in the playoffs.

1. bogerk profile image86
        bogerkposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I know a team as decimated with injuries, the Green Bay Packers. They have lost their starting RB, 2 TE, 2 LB, 1 DE, 2 LT and a myriad of other special teams and backup players.

Peyton Manning is a pocket passer with very little protection or practice time with a lot of the people on his team right now.

It also doesn't help that the Colts have no running game and have almost eliminated it as a part of their offense entirely.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
          Ron Montgomeryposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Green Bay is a powerful team in spite of their injuries.  Wouldn't be shocked to see them go all the way this year.

I don't think their injury situation is as bad as the Colts though.  Of their top 3 receivers, 2 are out for the season.  Two of their top 3 running backs are gone.  Their best defensive player, Bob Sanders is gone (not that they're unaccustomed to that, and his very capable backup is gone.  Their two starting corner backs are out.  Two  of their starting linebackers, including the defensive captain have missed half the season.  I'm sure I'm missing someone, but you get the point.

6. jcales profile image74
    jcalesposted 5 years ago

I actually thin it is his team more than Peyton. Although he is not as accurate this year.

7. I am DB Cooper profile image65
    I am DB Cooperposted 5 years ago

Anytime you can put pressure on a pocket passer without having to send extra players in on a blitz you're going to find success. The Colts offensive line is worse than it's ever been in the Manning era. Take away a few go-to receivers from Manning and he's really got problems. When defenses blitz they create gaps in the coverage, but right now Manning doesn't have experienced receivers smart enough to take advantage of this. In the past Manning has had guys who knew when it was important to "get open fast". I've seen him hit more receivers/tight ends in the back or in the helmet this season than in the rest of his career combined. That's the receivers fault. If Manning is getting rushed and needs to get rid of the ball, the receiver needs to know the play isn't going to fully develop and he needs to look back for the ball.