jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (14 posts)

why is Roy Keane a bad manager?

1. Donnacha C profile image85
    Donnacha Cposted 5 years ago

6 straight defeats for Ipswich..... surely Keane will have to walk away (what he does best really) yet again as I cannot see him waiting to get sacked.... but with his managerial record who will ever hire him?

1. 61
      caolanlowryposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yeah i agree with this...Just because he was a great player doesn't mean he is automatically a great manager.They are two different professions.He needs to do something fast.

2. republik profile image60
    republikposted 5 years ago

Probably because he makes the players too scared of him to bond with them, I would say he probably lacks man management skills

3. 0
    Toby Hansenposted 5 years ago

Wow! Roy Keane?!?! I did not even know he was still around!

4. Rajab Nsubuga profile image61
    Rajab Nsubugaposted 5 years ago

I think he needs a coarse in anger management.

5. attemptedhumour profile image59
    attemptedhumourposted 5 years ago

He should go and ask Mick McCarthy for some advice on how to be a decent manager and decent bloke.

6. 0
    luabuposted 5 years ago

no listening skills
    no people management skills
    no relaxation skills
    a creator of tension in an ineffective way
    hi from luabu

1. 60
      pgarret09posted 5 years ago in reply to this

"But you werent in that room"  lol

7. Fuller_legend profile image88
    Fuller_legendposted 5 years ago

Because a football manager should always seem like he's in control of the situation (even when he isn't) With Keane you always sense their is a public outburst just around the corner. It's a bit like Kevin Keegan when he totally lost the plot on national t.v after being baited by Alex Ferguson. Fergie must have been rubbing his hands when he saw the interview.

8. 62
    Teddy Fanposted 5 years ago

I think Roy Keane has the potential to be an excellent manager. His record at Sunderland in his first season was exceptional taking them from the bottom of the Championship to winning the league.
    Its incredibly hard to identify exactly what the issue is when you go on a losing streak. Im an Aston Villa fan and although our recent record has been poor I don't pin that on the manager. Injuries, transition take over time and the age of our current first team have all contributed.
    I think Keane hit it big very early and the expectation is that he will do it time after time. Sometimes that just isn't the case. Could it be down to the players?

1. Fuller_legend profile image88
      Fuller_legendposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree that the players also have to shoulder some responsibilty but the fact is Keane has signed a lot of these players since taking over at the club. For what it's worth i do believe he has the attributes to be a good manager, i just don't think he has enough control over his gob.

1. 62
        Teddy Fanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I was a huge fan of Roy Keane as a player (still class him in the top 5 premier league players ever, very under rated) but since he joined Ipswich I haven't really kept up to date on his record.
        I seem to remember he had a terrible start to last season and (some what) turned it round. If hes lost the dressing room its quite rare that you get them back.

9. jenblacksheep profile image84
    jenblacksheepposted 5 years ago

He just doesn't have enough management experience and probably doesnt even have all his management badges (I don't know that though). All these managers that were players in the last 5-10 years think they can just jump into a premier league management position just because they were good players: Roy Keane, Tony Adams, Alan Shearer etc and none of them have really done well.

1. 62
      Teddy Fanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

On the other hand some might say Steve Bruce, Roberto Di Mateo and Paul Ince (ignore his record at Blackburn, at Milton Keynes Dons he did very well) to name only 3 have made the transition quite well.