Will collapse of metrodome roof feed new stadium frenzy?

1. 0
    jerrylposted 5 years ago

As you know, the reason the Viking giants game was moved to Detroit, was due to the collapse of the roof, after Minneapolis got clobbered with over 17 inches of snow.

My question is:  Will the Wilf family, (owners of the Vikings), use this as leverage to get a new stadium built?  Up until now, most of the public has not wanted to fund this project. The cost of the proposed new stadium is somewhere around 800 million to 1 billion. A large chunk they want the public to shoulder. 

The Vikings lease on the Metrodome is soon to be at it's end.  There have been rumors of threats to move the Vikings to another city.

Will this force the stadium issue?  Will the Vikes stay in the Metrodome longer?  Will the team relocate?

Your thoughts?

2. LakeShow T profile image80
    LakeShow Tposted 5 years ago

Something has to happen soon either way. As you alluded to, the Vikings lease is up at the Metrodome at the end of the year I believe and I am not sure they will sign a new one. That leaves them homeless next season. Perhaps they would sign one for the period of time it would take to build a new stadium. With all the reported interest from groups in Los Angeles, who are interested in relocating the team, this could get ugly.