Is English football talent on its knees?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Jefsaid profile image72
    Jefsaidposted 13 years ago

What changes need to be made to the English game to turn it around?

1. kinnsyg profile image60
      kinnsygposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think it has been blown out of proportion a bit. Jack Wilshire is one of the best young players I've seen for a long time. Adam Johnson us a cut above the wingers England have recently relied upon. Joe Hart is the nest keeper England have had for a long time. And there are others coming through. We must remember that at least four of the regular England squad are described as world class, and I feel it is the England senior set up that has been the real problem.

2. rich_hayles profile image59
    rich_haylesposted 13 years ago

Where do I start?
    Many points come up when I have this discussion with friends. Is it the coaching of players now and at a young age growing up, the pressure put on the players by the media, the type of football we play?
    If we look at the current successes in football (Barcelona, Spain, Inter Milan) they all have players that play a particular style of football. Barcelona are a joy to watch and the style of play can be attributed to the great Johan Cruyff introducing the Dutch Tika-Taka style of fast paced one touch football. They have technically very gifted players and utilise there skills to perfection. We use slower paced players that lack creative skills limiting our attacking play.

3. Fuller_legend profile image82
    Fuller_legendposted 13 years ago

There is talent out there but Capello needs to look outside the the big clubs once in a while. We (Stoke) have an outstanding young centre half by the name of Ryan Shawcross who's quite rightly been linked with the likes of Real Madrdid, Juventus, and a return too Man Utd, but he was picked for an england squad, never played a part and hasn't been picked since. The fact is Capello has NEVER set foot inside the Britannia stadium which to me is scandalous considering we have at least 2 genuine international candidates. It's not like he can even back up his selections with results is it? I'm sure it's the same at other clubs too.

When i look at the overall talent we have coming through at the minute it actaully looks quite promising to me. Wilshere, Gibbs, Rodwell, Shawcross, Gary Cahill, Sturridge, Adam Johnson, Walcott, Andy Carrol, Jordan Henderson, Hart amongst being amongst them.

Jefsaidposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The problem I see is that while these young players are talented, the football they will play is likely to compartmentalise them into functional players (with exception to Gibbs and Wilshere at Arsenal).  These players by and large have also been trained within clubs academies.  The problem is at grass roots level where the training is substandard.

4. republik profile image59
    republikposted 13 years ago

There are still quite a good few players out there coming through, Rodwell at Everton will be a fantastic player, and Man Utd have an amazing player called Ravel Morrisson coming through

Jefsaidposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think Rodwell is a good player but not potential World class and I have not seen Ravel Morrison.  I know that besides  wilshire and Gibbs, Arsenal have 3 outstanding youngsters in Benik Afobe, Chucks Aneke, and Jay Emmanuel Thomas who despite some none English sounding names are born and bred on these shores.  A further player Emanuel Frimpong came from Ghana when he was at most 8 years old I believe and qualifies to play for England now at 18-19.  He like Wilshire was in Wenger's plans this term but done his knee ligament in pre-season.  The issue is that how many of these will become truly World class and what is behind them.

5. Jefsaid profile image72

Where is the next Gasgoine, Hoddle, Moore, Barnes, Beardsley and Adams.  We do not have any potential Messi, Cantona, Zidane or Henry type players.

1. republik profile image59
      republikposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ravel Morrison! :-)

6. Jefsaid profile image72

Where is the potential in our parks and playgrounds?

1. Pedrotoon profile image59
      Pedrotoonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I understand that point to an extent but when you see players like C.Ronaldo, Essien, Messi etc coming from backgrounds where they played on streets or without shoes you can't blame it on parks.

For me someone like Arsene Wenger needs to be put in charge of the F.A. he is the stand out manager that wants his players to express themselves. I now see Owen Coyle being the only Brittish manager to follow his mould as close as possible.

The problem is British coaches promote tactics that STOP the opposing teams playing football. We need coaches who want to lead their teams into playing the beautiful game. Its always 'right i want you to stick to him, dont give him space' and 'when you get the ball play it safe' or even worse 'pump it long to the no.9'

Its the coaches at all levels that need to have their vision changed, the players are there, the ability is there but when you are taught to play the 'English way' throughout your youth training, you cant be expected to turn into Messi

7. Leachy79 profile image60
    Leachy79posted 13 years ago

I think there are too many foreign players playing in the Premier League at the moment.  Of course we want to attract the best players, but I'm talking about the mediocre majority of players that are over here playing.  Surely it would be better for our game to have a young Englishman playing rather than some unknown international from Outer Mongolia.  I think there should be a quota of English players in your team in any one game.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)