Seattle didn't deserve it!!

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (20 posts)
  1. AskAshlie3433 profile image60
    AskAshlie3433posted 13 years ago

The Seahawks lost 7 of their last 9 games and still managed to host a playoff game at 7-9. Does the NFL need to recalibrate a new playoff system or leave it the same? What about strength of schedule? They become the first team to make the playoffs with a losing record. The Bucs and Giants missed out, but still one 3 more games then Seattle did. Should they regroup the divisions?

1. 1974 profile image68
      1974posted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, it is fine the way it is.  The Bucs and Giants have nobody to blame but themselves.  It's not the Seahawks fault the Giants couged up a 21 point lead with 8 minutes to go against the Eagles.  If you change the rules now to allow a wild card team to host if they have a better record, that will be the first step in chipping away the entire playoff system eventually leading to the divisions being meaningless for anything but scheduling.

The Seahawks won their bad division and beat the Saints.  Deal with it, you had your run last year.

1. jobister profile image60
        jobisterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree, its not always the best teams that make it, its the best team THAT week that get to move on. Seattle was the better team against the Saints this week, but will they be the better team against the Bears?

2. bogerk profile image70
      bogerkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They deserve it because those are the rules set in place by the NFL before the season started that every team and owner agreed to.

That being said, they won't be beating CHI this weekend.

2. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image73
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 13 years ago

It's fine the way it is. One bizarre anomaly doesn't need to upset the entire apple cart.

First of all, you can't realign the divisions every time a bad team slips in to the party, because they are based on location, but more importantly, it's cyclical. Not too long ago, the winner of the NFC Central hovered around 8-8 every year. Should we shuffle the teams around every five years to make sure everything is balanced enough?

Beyond that, do we compensate for the one good team that plays in a weak division and uses that to pad their win totals, like the Eagles, Bears, Chargers, and Patriots have all done in recent years?

Or do we "recalibrate" the playoffs to compensate for the fact that one conference usually dominates for a decade or so before the other one takes over and dominates?

1. jobister profile image60
      jobisterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Definitely agreeing with what you have to say. No need to create a hoopla because 1 division sucks at competing.

3. LakeShow T profile image74
    LakeShow Tposted 13 years ago

After the season I think the league will be making some changes to the extent that they will not allow a team in Seattle's position to host a playoff game over a team that has a better record.

Beyond that, it is a difficult thing to make right. You're always going to have very strong divisions along with very weak divisions. I would say to to cut out the divisions all together in order to avoid something like this, but that would likely take away some of the playoff races down the stretch of the regular season and might hurt some rivalries.

How about cutting each conference down to 3 divisions and then have 3 wild-card teams? Having four, four team divisions in each conference is just asking for this issue to surface every year.

Just a thought off the top of my head.

4. AskAshlie3433 profile image60

I have to admit. I didn't see this coming. Seattle put down the Saints. But, this is a fact. New Orleans gave this game away, more then Seattle taking it. They had their chances and should of put 50 or more points on the board. Seattle doesn't win next week,, no matter who they play.

5. profile image54
    RewNFLposted 13 years ago

nope, they won. against the saints. defending champs. they didn't give it away. they won it. the 4 worse winning pct teams to make the playoffs won their first game. the year the cardinals made the super bowl they were 8-8 and where dogged all year about not being worthy of the playoffs. its all about when a team is hot. dont hate on the Seahawks!

6. LakeShow T profile image74
    LakeShow Tposted 13 years ago

I believe the Seahawks beat the Bears earlier this season, so they have a decent shot at this. I do not think they would have stacked up well against Atlanta fate would have worked out that way. Either way, the NFC is pretty sad in my opinion. I hate the Packers and think they have an outstanding chance to make the Super Bowl out of that Conference as the #6 seed.

1. Wayne Orvisburg profile image62
      Wayne Orvisburgposted 13 years agoin reply to this

GO PACK GO!

7. I am DB Cooper profile image62
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

If the Seahawks make it to the Super Bowl, they will have earned it. Sure, they got lucky in making the playoffs because their division was weak, but they still beat the defending Super Bowl champions in a playoff game. I highly doubt they'll be able to go on the road and beat Chicago, and after that go on the road and beat the Falcons (perhaps), but if they do there will be nothing cheap about their Super Bowl run.

8. 1974 profile image68
    1974posted 13 years ago

Anything is possible.  I'm hoping both Seattle and GB win this weekend.  If that happens, the SeaHawks will get to host the NFC Championship game.  Don't forget, it was not that long ago that the 8-8 Cardinals were the "joke" playoff team and ended up going to the SuperBowl.  And the Giants wild card team that beat Dallas, Tampa, and Green Bay all on the road and then won the SB against the undefeated Pats team.

9. AskAshlie3433 profile image60

You are right. They are playing with a desire, that I haven't seen them play with all year. They love being the underdog. Even if the Saints didn't play their best ball, Seattle still earned it. They are playing with confidence. Right now, they are a dangerous team. They feel like they have nothing to lose. Pete Carroll has done a great job with this team. Matt Hasselback played like he did in his postseason trip years ago, when they made it to the Superbowl. They can easily knock off Chicago, if they play like they did this last Sunday. Chicago has a better defense then N.O., but they don't have the offensive power like the Saints. This could go down to the wire. This is a game where turnovers will cost someone.

10. AskAshlie3433 profile image60

1974, that is so true. They almost won it. I give it to Seattle. I am a critic as well. They have momentum going into Chicago. They beat them 23-20 in Chicago once this year already. It is possible. I would have to say they are the most dangerous team right now. Why? Cause everyone has already counted them out. Well, guess what? Seattle is coming to play. Seattle is coming to win.

11. AskAshlie3433 profile image60

This just in, Chicago falls to Seattle this weekend. I had a dream! I lost a boat load of money betting on Chicago. Just wanted to share that. lol

12. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 13 years ago

Ha.  I really like Pete Carroll.  Sometimes team sneak in and I find it intriguing to see them beat the Saints and now have a chance to knock off Chicago.  Maybe the NFC West is the best division in football and they just beat each other up (just kidding).

I have to say I'm still a little shocked they beat the Saints.

1. Mikeydoes profile image43
      Mikeydoesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If they beat Chicago I'm going to cry.

If they DO happen to beat us, I'd want them to win the Super Bowl. It would be a great story and fun to watch. Plus those smug Patriots won't win.

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm cheering for Chicago..

13. AskAshlie3433 profile image60

Like 1974 said, good example is the Arizona. They almost won the Superbowl. Pete Carroll is a good coach, has had a lot of success in football, mostly USC. They are really better then I first gave them credit for. They have a good shot this weekend.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)