jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (16 posts)

Jim Harbaugh excepts 49ers job

1. AskAshlie3433 profile image61
    AskAshlie3433posted 6 years ago

Jim Harbaugh is leaving Stanford to coach the San Francisco 49ers. Good move or bad?

1. optimus grimlock profile image59
      optimus grimlockposted 6 years ago in reply to this

good move, he lives close to the team and he can help the offence find a better qb for their system.

2. bogerk profile image85
      bogerkposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Seems like a good move to me. I don't see how moving from the NCAA to the NFL could be considered anything but a promotion. I always loved him as a QB, never watched him at Stanford since I hate college football (BCS mainly) but now look forward to rooting for him as a NFL Coach.

3. Judy HBerg profile image82
      Judy HBergposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Good move for both Harbaugh and the 49ers.  Jim gets his shot at coaching the pro's with a team that is ready and poised for improvement-something that Harbaugh is good at developing in teams.
      I would have liked to see him back at his Alma mater (Michigan) but I understand he has outgrown the college ranks and is ready for this next phase in his career.  Best wishes to him!

2. LakeShow T profile image79
    LakeShow Tposted 6 years ago

Yeah, Harbaugh had not really done anything as a coach until this season with Stanford. Now he has been the hottest commodity on the market. I'm just not sure how much of his success came from his coaching and how much came from Stanford's QB standout, Andrew Luck.

Either way, You don't earn the nickname "Captain Comeback" as a NFL QB without knowing a thing or two about the game of football. I think this was a good move for him in terms of his career, although I am not sure how well it will ultimately pan out.

3. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image93
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 6 years ago

Great move for both of them.

4. profile image70
    logic,commonsenseposted 6 years ago

Yeah if I was Luck and I had to choose between going to Carolina and going back to school, I'd go back too!

5. AskAshlie3433 profile image61

Yeah, I think he made the right choice. He was a great quarterback, great knowledge of the game. Because of this, he has had a decent coaching career. This is his big chance. San Francisco has a lot of talent. They have a stout defense and Crabtree could be an NFL legend. Here is a good question though. It makes me wonder if San Fran can trade up in the draft or trade a couple of picks to land Luck. Stanford's offense is ran like a west coast offense. He would fit there perfect I think. Alex Smith never turned out. The other QB is nowhere ready. Luck has the talent to be a good NFL quarterback.

6. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 6 years ago

Excepts it from what exactly?

7. wavegirl22 profile image45
    wavegirl22posted 6 years ago

exceptional?

8. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

Acceptional.

9. Ron Montgomery profile image60

Explicitly

10. wavegirl22 profile image45
    wavegirl22posted 6 years ago

possibly explosive?

11. Ron Montgomery profile image60

Excremental?

12. I am DB Cooper profile image71
    I am DB Cooperposted 6 years ago

Bad move for Harbaugh. He left a cushy job at a picturesque campus for a job in the pros, where coaches average about 2 or 3 years before they are fired. He was the king of Stanford and a shaper of young minds -- now he'll be the scapegoat for any of the 49er's problems and he'll constantly have a bunch of idiot millionaires (they aren't idiots because they're millionaires, they're idiots because they've destroyed this once proud franchise) breathing down his neck.

13. AskAshlie3433 profile image61

DB, you make a good point. He turned Stanford from a pretender to a contender. Why leave when all is well? The only good thing about this job, he does have some playmakers. Their defense was decent, but still needs improvement in coverage. They have a good group of linebackers and wide receivers, such as Crabtree. They need a quarterback. They are in a division that has no clear cut leader. 7-9 record won the division. St. Louis will be better. Arizona needs the draft, and Seattle could challenge again, only because this is a weak division. If he can make some moves this offseason, he has a chance. That is, if he can.

working