jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Yankee Stadium coming down...

1. elisabeth reid profile image78
    elisabeth reidposted 8 years ago

what are your thoughts?

2. Bruce Bostwick profile image73
    Bruce Bostwickposted 8 years ago

I guess you could say it's the end of an era.  All I know is there will be a new Yankee Stadium but it probably won't be the same.  I guess they say all things must come to an end and that's it.  It is a very historic ball park and would have been nice to see actually in person.  Alas but I cannot.  Can't afford a trip to New York or even live there.

3. HockeyStickGuy profile image59
    HockeyStickGuyposted 8 years ago

I made a special trip out from the west coast in 2007 to visit Yankee stadium before it went bye-bye. I was there for the Mets vs the Yankees on the day Clements returned to the mound. The fans and the game were electric. Super cool!

As for the stadium itself, it didn't have a lot of character too me. History yes, charm not so much. I also made it up to Boston and Fenway park on the same trip. Now Fenway, wow, tons of character and nostalgia.

4. DJ Funktual profile image85
    DJ Funktualposted 8 years ago

YANKS DON'T NEED ONE!  They already have a shrine!
    they are only getting one because the METS needed one.

5. crashcromwell profile image81
    crashcromwellposted 8 years ago

It's not uncommon for a team to experience a revival of sorts after a new ballpark is built, because they add all the modern amenities that teams can use to raise revenues. With the Yankees, lack of revenue does not seem to be a problem, so if the Steinbrenners can afford 300 million in salaries, will that translate into another win for the bombers? I doubt it, and as a Red Sox fan, I hope not.

I like what the new ownership of the Red Sox has done, by incrementally renovating the stadium during the off season, maintaining the historic feel of the park. Once upon a time, I was rabid for the team to build a new stadium in south Boston, while keeping Fenway as a baseball museum where fans could go and hit drives off the monster. These new owners have really maximized the old stadium, though, which is great.