jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (14 posts)

Jets move on with win

1. AskAshlie3433 profile image60
    AskAshlie3433posted 5 years ago

Jets 28 Patriots 21 A repeat of last year? What are their chances?

Ashlie - please stop using all caps for your Forum threads

1. bogerk profile image85
      bogerkposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The Patriots looked off their game the whole time. Great coaching all week by Rex Ryan, even if he does have a huge mouth.

2. 0
    Husky1970posted 5 years ago

Beating Indy with Manning and my Patriots today with Brday is pretty impressive.  Especially when they lost on the same field 45 to 3 less than two months ago.  What an adjustment.  Four very solid teams remaining.

3. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 5 years ago

Love the Jets.  Don't think they can beat Green Bay, but they've been impressive.

4. Mighty Mom profile image92
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

The Patriots lost that game for themselves. Both offense and defense seemed to have timing problems. Either too fast or too slow.
    How many dropped passes did we see?
    But it was a good game.

Glad that Ravens, Falcons are both OUT.
    GB, Bears and Steelers are all venerable teams.
    It will be an interesting playoff!

1. 0
      Husky1970posted 5 years ago in reply to this

The Patriots killed way too much clock on their 1st fourth quarter TD drive and the let the Jets nullify two plays after the onside kick.  Not a typical NE Patriot performance but the Jets had a lot to do with that.

5. Mighty Mom profile image92
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

bogerk -- looks like we watched the same game.
    Can't blame the cold. These guys are used to Foxboro winters.
    And they were at HOME!
    Just a bad case of the dropsies.
    Oh, and what, 5 Brady sacks??? Tsk, tsk.

6. I am DB Cooper profile image67
    I am DB Cooperposted 5 years ago

The wide receivers weren't getting open, but I think Tom Brady still played one of the stupidest games of his career. I don't know if it was just a case of anticipating blitzes that weren't there or what, but even when he wasn't getting sacked or hurried he was still making throws as if he were. That 1st quarter interception was just bizarre. He threw that ball off-balance without anyone in his face.

Brady and the Pats coaches knew that utilizing short passes with their unbalanced wide receiver set-up was a surefire way to have success in their passing game against the Jets formidable secondary. They tried a few of these today, and they were successful almost every time. Why did they not do more of those plays? The middle and deep passes weren't there, but they kept going back to those as if the Jets pass defense was suddenly going to get worse. If they had run more of those quick passes, it would have forced the cornerbacks toward the line of scrimmage and they would have found more chances on the deep passes.

The scoring drive in the middle of the 4th quarter was just baffling. How much time did that take up, like 7 minutes? Did the Patriots realize they were down by 2 scores? Why so many running plays, and why were they not in the hurry up offense? That quick pass to the outside is one of the most lethal plays in the Patriots playbook, and it's tailor-made for these situations because it puts the ball carrier next to the sideline. They were taking up almost all the time on the play clock between each play, running the ball in the middle of the field and then wasting another 30+ seconds before running the next play.

The Jets are getting hot at just the right time, much like last year. Once again they'll have a huge test for themselves in the AFC Championship game. They beat the Steelers this season in a close game, but the Steelers were also missing a certain safety in that game (who has had more of an impact on the Steelers win-loss record than Big Ben over the past few years). The Jets will probably be big underdogs again, but this should be a fun game.

7. AskAshlie3433 profile image60

Yeah, Brady wasn't on this week. I think they took that 45-3 win to heart to much. They overlooked the Jets. The Jets are probably the best road team left in the playoffs, next to the Pack. Not to many people would of picked these 4 teams in the conf championships. Should be some good games.

1. 0
      Husky1970posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't think the Pats overlooked the Jets but their 45 to 3 win sure did come back to haunt them.  I was actually not happy with how they ran the score up in that game.  They easily could have kept it a TD or two closer.

8. AskAshlie3433 profile image60

It makes me wonder if the Jets are going to do the same thing. Overlook their opponent. A few weeks ago, The Jets beat the Steelers 22-17 in Pittsburgh. No matter what, it will be a great game.

1. jobister profile image61
      jobisterposted 5 years ago in reply to this

What a coincidence both #6 and #2 seeds from AFC & NFC are alive. Will it be Packers vs. Jets superbowl or Bears vs. Steelers. Both of these matchups are a football fans dream come true.

2. I am DB Cooper profile image67
      I am DB Cooperposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't think the Jets are going to take too many things for granted. They had a kickoff return for a touchdown in that win over the Steelers, and Polamalu was injured and didn't play in the game. It should be a good game.

9. AskAshlie3433 profile image60

Good point D B. It will be a physical contest out there. I think the early start, for whatever team, will be key in this one. The Jets are 0-3 in AFC Conference Championship games. They will be pumped, Rex will be feeding the egos, and they will be ready for the Steelers. What a game it will be.