jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Andruw Jones Signs with the Yankees

1. jobister profile image61
    jobisterposted 5 years ago

Is Andruw Jones' career over now that he is a yankee? Or does his added presence in the lineup give the Yankees a chance to compete with the Red Sox?

1. bogerk profile image86
      bogerkposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't see him doing much for them. Their OF is pretty well set with Granderson, Swisher and Gardner and Posada is likely to get the most ABs from the DH position.

I'm not sure if the Yankees resigned Marcus Thames or not, but if they didn't then I would imagine Jones will play a very similar role, if not less due to the lack of available DH ABs.

1. jobister profile image61
        jobisterposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Definitely agree with what you have said. Not sure if the Yankees made this deal out of desperation more than anything. They already have a good batting lineup.

2. I am DB Cooper profile image66
    I am DB Cooperposted 5 years ago

It's a low-risk situation for the Yankees, and Jones will probably just ride the bench most of the year and fill in here and there for outfielders or DH's who get hurt. It's been 5 years since Jones has hit over .250, so the Yankees can't be expecting too much out of him.

1. LakeShow T profile image81
      LakeShow Tposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Not to mention many players can't handle the pressure in New York like they could for their former teams and their numbers plummet. Jones' also has been on the decline for quite a few years now, so that does not bode well for him either. He could end up being a decent pinch-hitter for when the Yankees need a home-run in the 8th or 9th inning.

3. 10aeinhorn profile image60
    10aeinhornposted 5 years ago

signing him wont hurt thr yanks. if he works out then he works out. if not then oh well. and no, they cannot compete with the sox this year.

4. number2son profile image60
    number2sonposted 5 years ago

By the way, don't forget that the Yankees are the most successful team of all time and they always find a way to win.  Oh yeah, and who is snubbing the World Champion Giants around here?  There are many strong teams on paper, but what defines a champion is he who wins it on the field.

5. optimus grimlock profile image61
    optimus grimlockposted 5 years ago

Its a no risk all reward if he has 30-40 rbis and 10-14homers the he pays off because he will only get so many at bats. Jones had a decent season last year hit 19 homers and 48 rbis thats not to bad dispite the 230ba.