jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Thoughts on 48 Year Old Herschel Walker Wanting Back in the NFL?

1. LakeShow T profile image81
    LakeShow Tposted 5 years ago

I am sure many have now come across this story by now on the internet or on television. I know there are hundreds of articles on the internet over the past few days on the subject.

What does everyone think? Walker is 48 years old (a star RB is usually just past their prime at around 30), but he also may be one of the best conditioned athletes in the world. He is also an MMA fighter right now. If you have seen him lately you can see he is in shape. He believes he can still play in the NFL and thrive. A year ago he stated that he believed that he could run a 4.3 40 yard dash at that time. He has recently said that he is in the best physical condition of his life and that he believes he is in better shape than most NFL players.

If he really is in the best shape of his life, then that is saying a lot. He is regarded as one of the greatest collegiate football players of all-time due in large part to his plethora of records and incredible physical attributes. Those same attributes made him an olympian who could have participated in multiple olympic sports.

He was so highly regarded that the Minnesota Vikings traded the Dallas Cowboys 3 Super Bowl trophies in the 90's just to acquire Walker for 2 and a half seasons. 

He thinks he can still help a team when he's 50. Is there any way this is possible. I know it sounds absolutely ridiculous and like a way to promote himself, but he does still look like he is in world-class shape and he knows how to play football.

1. Stevennix2001 profile image83
      Stevennix2001posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Sure, why not.  If he can still play, and he's willing to, then sure.  Although I can't see this ending well to be honest.  On the one hand, I think it might work if he's still in great shape, but that might leave open the door for other ex retired football players to come back like Emmitt Smith, Dan Marino and many others.  Of course, I'm not saying those particular players would ever want to come back exactly, as i was just giving out an example.  Then on the other hand, there's a severe possibility he might get hurt or he might not be able to catch up with the younger players.  There's a reason players retire, as their bodies are no longer able to keep up with the younger generation.  Therefore, it'll be interesting to see how this turns out if he does get signed on by any nfl team.

LakeShow Tposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree with a lot of that. The funny thing is that I think he could do it because he has proven to be good at everything he does and because of the condition he is in. But I also think that he is one of those people who craves attention because I know he has been on some reality shows, or at least the Celebrity Apprentice. Although not the same thing, just look at the attention Brett Favre received during his last few years in the NFL. If Walker did come back; make a team; and have any kind of role on a team, I think the media would soak it up like crazy. It does make for a fascinating story, although I do not think it would end well as Steven mentioned.

2. I am DB Cooper profile image66
    I am DB Cooperposted 5 years ago

I find it amazing that these older guys can stay in playing shape after all these years. I wrote a hub about Walker's daily workout and diet, and what he does with his body is absolutely amazing. 2000 sit ups a day. 1500 push ups a day. 500 or so chin ups for good measure. That's just his morning. After that, he skips breakfast and goes right into intense MMA training. In fact, he only eats one meal a day, and it's just bread and salad. Some days he even skips that meal, somehow (where does his body find calories to burn?).

And Walker isn't the only guy from his era waiting for an NFL team to call him. Some of you might remember Bears wide receiver Willie Gault. He's 50 years old and retired from the NFL 17 years ago. He can still run 200 meters in under 22 seconds, and 100 meters in under 11 seconds. A 40 yard dash of his that was clocked two years ago would be among the top 10 fastest in the NFL right now. He has said if an NFL team is interested he'd like to attempt a comeback.

3. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 5 years ago

I think he could do it kick/punt return 10-12 carries a game!

4. AskAshlie3433 profile image60
    AskAshlie3433posted 5 years ago

I think it would be cool! Never give up!

5. LakeShow T profile image81
    LakeShow Tposted 5 years ago

Buzzkill report: I heard on the Jim Rome show today that Walker made all those comments about playing again in a response to a question he was asked by a reporter in regard to whether he believes he still could play. He does believe he could still play and be effective, but apparently does not actually have interest in pursuing an NFL team. If one were to pursue him, that may be a different story. I don't think that would be likely to happen though.

6. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 5 years ago

um if your watchin the rome show you have no taste in tv!!! smile

LakeShow Tposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Great input on the topic there. Thank you for that useful information.  smile