jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (12 posts)

NBA Players opting out for Europe

1. mightyone profile image59
    mightyoneposted 8 years ago

What's up with NBA players opting out for bigger bucks to play in Europe?  Josh Childress may have started an exodus to chase the euro dollar.  Will this weaken the NBA if it continues?

1. profile image59
      deadplayerposted 8 years ago in reply to this

My answer is no. Just a few player did so, most, specially the stars are still in NBA.

2. Junkster profile image60
    Junksterposted 8 years ago

The european leagues shouldn't be sniffed at, the Greek and Spanish leagues are probably second only to the NBA.  I know a lot of the better BBL (British Basketball League) players have either been at European clubs or have since moved there.

I was friends with Rob Peers a good whilst back and he was constantly on the look out for guys in Europe to play over in the UK.

It used to be a bit of a NBA retirement ground but the leagues in southern Europe are coming on strong, especially with many european players playing in the USA in the NBA now (Andrea Bargnani (sorry can't spell), Pau Gasol, Dirk Nowitski.

1. mightyone profile image59
      mightyoneposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Very true; but overall - are their leagues comparable to the great NBA?  And does this water down the NBA and pro baskeball in general with guys opting out for money.  I mean if was a personal thing to go subdue other leagues around the world; or be the "man" in Greece, that's one thing.  Now even Lebron's looking into it (http://chicagofunnies.blogspot.com/2008 … james.html ).  It could get out of hand...

3. DJ Funktual profile image87
    DJ Funktualposted 8 years ago

one more product of the worst president in US history.

4. Junkster profile image60

Haha nice politicial commentary DJ Funktual smile

Anyway, mightyone, You do make a good point, there is a chance that a big name from the NBA could come over and dominate (wasn't that what the self-promoting goon David Beckham wanted to do instead of retiring?lol) the 'little' leagues.

The NBA in general seems to have a problem with money at the moment whether it's players being overpaid and becoming complacent or a referee taking some cash on the side to manage games (something I've thought for a while with playoff series' going to 7).

I do think that this past season a lot more people who had previously lost interest had come back to the game, Boston returning to their legendary form and winning the championship may have had some part in that.

But there's a lot of exciting new young players getting in to the game and next year should be a hotly contested one.  I think with it being an olympic year there will be a lot of talk of going abroad but it's mostly just rumors to scare the fans smile

Side Question: Do many American maybe even NBA players play in the chinese leagues?

5. Bruce Bostwick profile image72
    Bruce Bostwickposted 8 years ago

I don't know honestly.  I don't know about the European leagues but I do think it's going to be possible for players that graduated High School could go to Europe 'cause of the NBA rule about being in college for a year.  I think it's something like that, I could be wrong.

6. Junkster profile image60

Hmm, interesting point Bruce.

combine that with the money arguement and you've got a strong reason to play in Europe.  Exciting for us but may mean the NBA misses out on the next LeBron or Kobe

7. Bruce Bostwick profile image72
    Bruce Bostwickposted 8 years ago

Could be though I don't think the league could find another guy like that.  They've been trying to find another Michael Jordan and the odds of that are a billion to one.  I guess we can say only time will truly have an answer.

8. Junkster profile image60

Indeed, I wathc a lot of british basketball so I'll keep an eye out for new prospects as well as NBA has-beens smile lol

9. mightyone profile image59
    mightyoneposted 8 years ago

I never thought it that way of being a tool to scare fans into staying in tune with the NBA.  If Lebron goes over; I'd try to get a few Euro cable channels...And I know a few players who played in Chinese leagues...the fact that they allow their fans to smoke cigarettes in the stadium probably won't attract big name players...just a thought.

mighty

1. Junkster profile image60
      Junksterposted 8 years ago in reply to this

WHAT!?
      That's mad, I know we're allowed to drink beer at cricket matches (the onlly was to stay entertained I personally feel!)  but smoking, indoors?  You'd never get that over here now.

On a side note, anyone know of any good way to watch chinese/european games?  I use torrents for the nba games but most other leagues are sort of lost on the internet.  I wouldn't mind catching some spanish games after their performance in the olympics!

working