jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Air Pollution at the coming Olympic Games.

1. 62
    Infinity2000posted 8 years ago

Will air pollution dampens the level of competition, and more record - breaking results over the previous Olympic Games at Athens (2004)? Seven days to the Games, let us begin the Competition between nations , the best country wins the most Gold medals.

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 8 years ago

There are plenty of drugs that will counteract the pollution. smile

And if you think the best country wins the most Gold medals lol Hmmm. I wonder if the size of the applicant pool will have any effect on the "Best country"? big_smile

Do you think Ireland will win more medals the the USA? lolo

3. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 8 years ago

They say at the Beijing Olympics, when the pole vaulters go over the bar, you won't be able to see them for the cloud of pollution. Am thinking the opening ceremonies should not be missed.

4. Junkster profile image59
    Junksterposted 8 years ago

Well I'm not a big fan of the Olympics at the best of times (bit boring) but with them being held in Beijing I wouldn't be surprised to the athletes who train in low oxygen environments like long distance runners are going to keel over before the finish line. 

You watch, all the sprinters will need oxygen tanks on their back with masks on!

5. elisabeth reid profile image79
    elisabeth reidposted 8 years ago

I think it's going to be interesting.  The current 'spin' is that it's not pollution...but rather humidity.

I imagine that some of it's humidity, but I believe that it's predominantly pollution.  China's been on this out-of-control growth spurt and the air quality is showing wear and tear.  At least that's my take on it.  And, while I think that it's inevitably going to cause problems for some of the athletes, even more of them are going to blame it for a disappointing finish. 

I also think that the actual athletic contests are going to be overshadowed by the political issues that are just below the boiling point.  Hell, it's already happening.  It's been happening since well before the torch began its journey and it's not going to stop until after the closing ceremonies.

1. Junkster profile image59
      Junksterposted 8 years ago in reply to this

haha, our british cyclists have started doing that as an excuse for dropping out halfway through  a race!

Humidity, hmm nice choice of words by the Chinese there, humidity being a byproduct of poor air quality and pollution! smile