jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Runner on McDonald's-only diet

1. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

Report: Runner on McDonald's-only diet

Updated Mar 10, 2011 6:16 PM ET

A long-distance runner from suburban Chicago is training for an upcoming marathon by feasting on a diet consisting solely of McDonald's, the Chicago Sun-Times reported Thursday.

Joe D'Amico, 36, decided to combine his two favorite things – running and McDonalds – in the 30 days leading up to the Los Angeles marathon by only eating meals from the fast-food chain while he trains.

The daily menu for the lean D'Amico consists of a serving of hotcakes and an Egg McMuffin for breakfast, a grilled chicken sandwich and a large Coke for lunch, and a hamburger and fries for dinner, according to the report.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/Il … ?GT1=39002

maybe he's on a fixed budget?...is this healthy for an athlete?

1. Dawn Conklin profile image79
      Dawn Conklinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It is honestly not healthy for anybody! McDonald's is very bad for you, in moderation it is ok but every meal is bad for your whole body.  There is a movie (real life experiment) with a guy who ate nothing but McDonald's everyday.  He was being monitored by Drs throughout the experiment and he was damaging many organs in his body and also raised cholesterol.  He also gained weight.  Drs kept telling him to stop before he completed the experiment.  It was crazy and I think the athlete is crazy for doing this.  At least 30 days isn't a real long time, but it most likely will affect his performance in a bad way.  I am not a Dr tho.

1. ediggity profile image60
        ediggityposted 5 years ago in reply to this
  2. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 5 years ago

maybe mcdonalds sponsors him! Athletes are wierd sometimes but this is a little much. If it works then hes a genius if it doesn't we can all laugh at him.

3. I am DB Cooper profile image67
    I am DB Cooperposted 5 years ago

I bet he does just fine. He's got some variety in his meals, and his training is going to be burning most of the calories. You need to have an active lifestyle to counter the effects of this kind of food, but people manage to do it all the time. I read a story about a 90-something year old man who walks to Burger King every day and has two Whoppers and a Coke. He's been doing this for decades. The big problem comes when people combine this food with a sedentary lifestyle.