jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (17 posts)

I need some assistance regarding a Mickey Mantle autograph.

1. rebekahELLE profile image90
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

I've had this autographed tab from a restaurant for years. My mother-in-law gave it to me years ago. She used to be an accountant for a restaurant in Wichita, Ks, and Mickey Mantle and another person signed the bar tab. It's not authenticated, but I do believe her because she took the tab to his table to have it signed. I can't read the signature of the other man. It looks like it says Gary Ceckina or Aeckin.. I can't read the writing.
    It appears they had quite a bit to drink! It's dated 11-2-1979 and the tab is 65.75 with a 10.00 tip. The tab doesn't indicate how many people were at the table.

I want to sell it. What is the best course of action? I know I will need to have the signature authenticated. Anyone?

1. Bruce A. Beaudet profile image86
      Bruce A. Beaudetposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If you you can establish Mantle's presence at the restaurant in question then, it would add some credibility to the signature and the story.  Do you know if there were any photos of Mantle in the restaurant?...it's not unusual to have an owner put photos of famous people on their walls.

Ask your mother in law if she knows why he was in town...you may be able to find a media story that covered Mantle at the time in question.

Good luck!

rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I just glanced in the forums and saw this response.

My mother in law is no longer alive. I have searched online to find any news of his presence in Wichita at the time. I found nothing. The restaurant must have changed names, as I can't find it either. I have called around to different sources as far as having the signature authenticated. I may end up waiting until a IBAF representative travels to the area because I don't want to send it somewhere as some ask you to do.

I'll do some more digging through the family to see what I can find. Right now, it's on a long list of things to get done. smile

Thanks for responding.

@optimus grimlock, no new info..

1. Bruce A. Beaudet profile image86
          Bruce A. Beaudetposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I am sorry to hear about your mother in law. 

Mantle did play minor league baseball in Kansas (1949), not too far from Wichita so I would imagine he had connections there...maybe a 30 year celebration?

The curiosity is killing me! wink

2. Hugh Williamson profile image89
    Hugh Williamsonposted 6 years ago

You might consult with a dealer in sports memorabilia and see what it's worth, for starters.

3. rebekahELLE profile image90

I did a while back, but it was over the phone. I was just wondering if there are more reputable dealers to work with than others. I see advertisements in the newspaper, but don't want to get scammed.

4. Hugh Williamson profile image89
    Hugh Williamsonposted 6 years ago

I think I would check with several more dealers and also with some  internet sites that deal in memorabilia, to get more price information. Once you know the value, selling it should be easy.

Good luck.

5. rebekahELLE profile image90

Thanks Hugh.
    It's one of those things you forget you have... but I'm trying to get rid of stuff that I don't need. I'm sure someone would enjoy having it in their collection.

1. Hugh Williamson profile image89
      Hugh Williamsonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think you're right. Unless that person lives in Boston. smile

6. rebekahELLE profile image90

lol you're right. I'm here in Tampa Bay with a lot of Yankee fans, so I just need to make the right contacts.

1. Hugh Williamson profile image89
      Hugh Williamsonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You stirred my curiosity. I found an auction site that sold a hotel receipt for $428. That was 7 years ago.

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auct … on_ID=4122

7. rebekahELLE profile image90

thanks, Hugh! I'll check it out.

8. KingDrew profile image82
    KingDrewposted 6 years ago

You should get it authenticated, that will make it easier to sell.  For sports related autos, I'd recommend PSA/DNA (http://www.psacard.com), they are pretty much the standard for authentication of sports memorabilia and ball cards.  It'll cost a little bit of money to get it done, but you will easily be able to recoup that cost if its a real Mantle auto.

9. rebekahELLE profile image90

Thanks KingDrew, I'll check out the site. I appreciate your input.

10. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 6 years ago

send it to me and I'll handle the rest lol! I would keep it since it has a story behind it. You should also write a hub about it and let us know what happends!

rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I may just keep it.. when I was looking at it yesterday and holding it, I thought it would be sad to sell it. I have two sons who both played baseball.. although they're not huge sports collectors, I may keep it to pass it on in the family. 
      I will have it authenticated either way.
      Perhaps it would make an interesting hub. There are three separate tab sheets with the signatures on the final sheet. By the signatures, it does look like they had enjoyed their time at Nirt & Girty's Club! big_smile

11. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 5 years ago

any new info???????

working