jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Does the NFL need to do more to aid in the health of retired players?

1. Sports_Fan profile image61
    Sports_Fanposted 5 years ago

There was a study done recently that showed nearly half of all retired players abuse opioid painkillers and are suffering from severe chronic pain. This pain stems from the hits and injuries suffered during their NFL careers and is now seriously affecting their quality of living.

To read more about the study check out my hub:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Painkiller-Abus … FL-Players

1. dutchman1951 profile image59
      dutchman1951posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Do more in their treatments when they are injured, and make Cpaches, owners more allowable to Players healing and not having to play hurt all the time would be best.  Now as for retirement. They are wealthy men and can afford the Insurance.

2. Cagsil profile image85
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

No. I don't think the NFL should be forced to do anything. These multi-million dollar players should handle their money better, take better care of their bodies and own up to the responsibility of playing their sport.

Choices made by those players, put them where they are now. I have compassion for those who are suffering, because of the lack of vision for the future, but the NFL isn't responsible for their future. The NFL provided a path to a prosperous future. It's the choices the player made during his career, which is now suffering the consequences of those choices turned into actions.

Just my thoughts.

3. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 5 years ago

I think they should increase the benefits to retired players because the program is a depressing joke to began with!

4. Michael Willis profile image78
    Michael Willisposted 5 years ago

I believe the NFL League and Owners should do more for the retirement of players. There are those players that makes millions of dollars a year, but it is not the majority of NFL players. It is those players that usually end up suffering later on because of shortened career by injury or the impact of the long term injuries in the game.
    The League and owners make their Billions off the back of the players...so they should not just cast off the players, but help those that do need the assistance. (Now, I can't see a Peyton Manning or a Tom Brady ever needing help...they are provided for)

1. prettydarkhorse profile image64
      prettydarkhorseposted 5 years ago in reply to this

+ 1

5. fit2day profile image82
    fit2dayposted 5 years ago

I would say they are overpaid and shouldn't get benefits, but at the same time, these guys risk their bodies and put fans in the seats, so therefore they deserve benefits.

The worst thing is the guys who have had serious injuries back when the salaries weren't very high, so they should definitely receive support