jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Instant replay in baseball

1. elisabeth reid profile image76
    elisabeth reidposted 8 years ago

What do you think?  Personally, I think its time has come but I don't think the timing is right.  Something like that shouldn't be introduced at this point in the season.  Either start it during the playoffs, when everyone goes back to 0-0, or wait until Spring Training.

But...my opinion doesn't count.  It's starting on Thursday.

2. Bruce Bostwick profile image72
    Bruce Bostwickposted 8 years ago

I'm curious on if it will work.  The one thing I know that gets mentioned is that will talk about balls and strikes but it can never be reviewed.  I hope it works out well in being able to get the Home Run calls right but I would think it may take a minute or two just to look at it.  I don't think it will be used a lot though.

3. elisabeth reid profile image76

I think that's the reason they're using it for questionable home run calls.  Because there really aren't too many of them...enough bad ones earlier this year to justify the switch.

Bringing it into the infield isn't going to happen, though...at least I hope not, for a myriad of reasons, not the least of which being it'll turn into a Pandora's Box and conceivably destroy the game as we know it.

And that would be a shame.

4. chip22 profile image61
    chip22posted 8 years ago

I hope the instant replay reviews are extremely limited and don't creep into situations that would slow down the game.

5. Bruce Bostwick profile image72

That is up to the owners, players, and umpires on that to vote.  If they don't want it, it won't happen.  The big thing that can delay a game outside of replay would be the managers arguing on the mound.  There will be no way balls and strikes will ever be reviewed.

6. elisabeth reid profile image76

Never say never...that's why it can't go to the infield.  If they start reviewing bang-bang calls at first, then the next thing you know, they're going to be reviewing stolen bases and then tag plays and then...yes, balls and strikes (and at that point the game will be destroyed and the sound you'll hear echoing from coast to coast will be my wails of sorrow).

If they limit it to boundary plays, it might (should) be all right.

So far, earlier this season there have been 18 calls that could have benefited from replay.  Five of them were in the same week.  None since replay went into effect, though.

We'll see.

7. Bruce Bostwick profile image72

We'll see but I still don't see how balls and strikes could be reviewed anyway.  That'd be a bit much and I doubt anyone would ever approve of that happening.  I'd rather they do something about managers arguing and the same for brawls happening.  If the umps don't want it to happen, then it won't.  I doubt the owners and the players would really go that far.

I don't see replay going very far though.  It will be used once in a great while based upon the description of it.  We'll have to see how it turns out though I always thought they could review a ball whether it is fair or foul.  It's happened a few times before this.

8. crashcromwell profile image82
    crashcromwellposted 8 years ago

I agree with Elisabeth's original position. I wouldn't have even started it in the playoffs. Something like this should have been introduced in Spring Training, to give them time to work out the inevitable kinks before the games mean anything.

working