Where are the fisherman

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (11 posts)
  1. ujoutdoors profile image54
    ujoutdoorsposted 13 years ago

You would have to be living under a rock not to know about Toledo Bend Lake bordering Texas and Louisiana, if you happen to be a fisherman. Recently I knew there would be a White Bass run and the best place was Pendleton Bridge, right off the bank.

I took along a Soldier from Ft Polk and found four more along the way. The little fishing safari was complete but they weren't too enthusiastic as they had never caught much or nothing at all, in the past. My first instructional cast solidified the fact they were about to get happy. The water was working alive with Whit Bass. The young soldiers had a field day, they all caught the legal limit and released many more.

Funny thing, no one else was around in a public fishing area. Occasionally an expensive bass boat would pass by as I commented, "there goes one hundred thousand dollars of, I ain't caught nothing all day."

"Why aren't the people taking advantage of this, Uncle John?" inquired one of the soldiers. "Well they don't know about it, they don't care about it and they have something else better to do, at least to them." Life styles have changed, many think its better to sit out on the beach and get stoned, many families have broken up, and everybody is broke. The rich ones just cruise around in those boats and go back home. I took you guys fishing today because it is a better thing to do while I go broke....Pass it on

John Simeone
    Outdoor Writer
    Robert Ruark Society

1. qwark profile image61
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I fish Toledo Bend for crappie.
      Catfishin' is good too.
      I use "stink bait" for the "blues."
      The "cats" are some of the best eatin' catfish in TX.
      I prefer salt water fishin' but hey, when I fish I don't go fishin', I go "catchin'.
      Fish around those stumps out there for catfish. Ya'll be glad ya did.
      Qwark

2. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I love fishing - especially saltwater fishing!

3. Adventure Colorad profile image78
    Adventure Coloradposted 13 years ago

I love fishing too, but I'm up here in Colorado, so I haven't fished there.

4. maven101 profile image71
    maven101posted 13 years ago

That was a nice and educational thing you did for those young men...I've been an avid fisherman all my life...My experience is in the Pacific Ocean out of San Francisco...We went for salmon, strippers, and Ling cod, along with the occasional monster sturgeon under the Carquinez bridge that thrive in the salt and fresh water mix there...
    I have learned over the years that most folks don't realize its not fish they are trying to catch when they go fishing...Sure, the fish are great sport and even better dinner, but there is much more involved in this activity...I would hope that you imparted some of life's lessons to these young men...And from reading your interesting post I'm sure you did just that...

5. ujoutdoors profile image54
    ujoutdoorsposted 13 years ago

Thanks guys and gals who fish. Yes I do impart as mush knowledge as I can to young soldiers. Not just the Army but youth around the area. I'm retired Army so it is customary for me to adopt a few soldiers now and then. Many joined the Army to be a  part of something they were lacking in life, it gives me a chance to be a dad again. As a professional outdoor writer of 20 years it has been my message to all sportsmen to teach people how to hunt and fish both young and old alike. Robert Ruark who was a friend of my mother in New York years ago taught us in his famous book The Old Man and the Boy the first concepts of the Pass it on legacy that rings in my mind every time I hear the song. So rather than find a less active thing to do by myself I go out and find a kid or a soldier and take the opportunity to...Pass it on.

John Simeone
    Robert Ruark Society

6. tlpoague profile image82
    tlpoagueposted 13 years ago

My husband and I took our kids fishing a couple of days ago and caught a drum and large mouth bass. We had a great time, even though it is still cold here.

7. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

I love both salt and freshwater fishing.  We have 5 ponds stocked with crappie, large mouth bass, bluegill, and catfish, so I get to fish whenever I feel like it.  I'm only a couple of hours from the Atlantic or Gulf of Mexico too!   Gotta fish is this part of the country!  It's a law, I think!  lol!

1. profile image49
      jim Stevensonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If any of you fish for trout, try one of those new sachs spinners.  I just was banging brown trout on them in a semi-small stream.

website = www.sachsfishing.com

My Cousin hooked me up with these and they are heavier than most trout spinners but the same size, and seem to run deeper and better in faster water.

8. daybreak profile image79
    daybreakposted 12 years ago

John

Your post hints to something that is certainly endangered; the sport of fishing.

As you mentioned, the friendships that are developed thru fishing are worth their weight in gold.

We tend to focus on the technical aspects of sports and many people never realize how important these activities are to our culture and our local communities.

I have also noticed the lack of anglers that are following in our footsteps and it is sad.

Fishing teaches young people so many important lessons that are really important when they begin a career and start a family.

I hope you will continue sharing your passion for the outdoors with others.

9. FishAreFriends profile image71
    FishAreFriendsposted 12 years ago

Fishing is very fun... I guess it's what inspired me to go nuts about fish...lol. I used to live in california where we saltwater fished, but now in colorado we fish freshwater. One of the most important places of my family and I to fish is Trappers lake near Meeker. We have fished there as long as I can remember- I plan to go back on my own sometime- it's so peaceful. My parents even got engaged at that lake, on a boat while fishing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)