jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Bernard Hopkins disses McNabb in the media

1. Stevennix2001 profile image82
    Stevennix2001posted 5 years ago

According to Barnard Hopkins, he thinks that McNabb isn't black or tough enough to be in the NFL.  What are you're thoughts on this?  Is he right?  Is McNabb not black enough?  Or is he not tough enough to be in the NFL?  Here's the link to the site to read more details:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo … nfl-wp1972

Personally, I think Bernard is a freaking idiot if you ask me, as i don't see how a person's background constitutes us to question how black they are or how tough they are.  After all, Michael Jordan grew up in a suburban family too, but I doubt you'd find many that would question if he was black or tough enough for the NBA.  Then again, what do I know?  Anyways, what's your take on this?

1. LakeShow T profile image79
      LakeShow Tposted 5 years ago in reply to this

What I am wondering is why everyone, EVERYONE takes shots at Donovann McNabb? It's been going on since the Eagles fans booed his draft selection. Since then everyone else has piled on, especially former teammates. What did he lead the Eagles to? Something like 5 NFC Championship games? I don't understand why everyone piles on McNabb. Is there something we don't know?

Being from Minnesota, I would love it if the Vikings signed McNabb for next season. That might be the first positive thing anyone has said about him in years. It's not fair.

1. Stevennix2001 profile image82
        Stevennix2001posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Not to mention the fact that Donovan also played when he had a sports hernia, while putting up with a premadonna like TO in Philadelphia.  Personally, I'll never understand why he receives so much criticism.  Is he really that much different behind closed doors? 

Of course, this Bernard Hopkins guy sounds like an idiot, as I fail to see how growing up in the ghetto makes you any more black than you actually are.  If that's the case, then I guess all them guys in Africa aren't really black since by Hopkins definition, they have to grow up in the hood like TO and him did to be deemed REAL black men.  That's just ridiculous. 

Then again, this isn't anywhere near as ridiculous as when Al Sharpton sided with TO about Donovan McNabb being allegedly a Uncle Tom; since the Eagles refused to give TO a new contract.  I'm sorry Al, but aren't you supposed to be representing the minorities that need you to be a leader?  Not side with some whiny cry baby millionaire that throws a huge temper tantrum if he doesn't get his way all the time, and doesn't get the money he wants to play a kids game.  Yes, all sports by definition are kids games, and these athletes need to remember that, as they need us fans more so than we need them.

2. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 5 years ago

Never been a mcnaab fan but he is tough and was once a top qb. I think he's always been a yes man and some people look at that as bein a kiss ass or uncle tom. I also think Hopkins is trying to reprasent philly since he's loved there and in the past few most people have forgoten about him. Its his way to stay relavent. I see were hopkins is coming from its just really childish!!

3. S.Graveson profile image81
    S.Gravesonposted 5 years ago

Hopkins is playing "the bad guy", he's done it in the past (stamped on a Puerto Rican flag, said he'd never lose to a white boy etc etc). The guy seems to love controversy. Great fighter, one of the smartest men in the ring I've ever seen and often out side of it he come across as intelligent...he's just prome to saying some really stupid things.

4. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 5 years ago

very true, I think he doesnt give a fk hes just tryin to stay relavent!

5. Matt in Jax profile image81
    Matt in Jaxposted 5 years ago

Never a McNabb fan either, but he was damn good at Syracuse and not bad at Philly. Bernard's being an ass by calling him "not black enough" though. Don't much understand that and the only way McNabb wouldn't be tough enough anymore is age and ability to get injured more often than not.