jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Should Jeff Green be a starter for the Celtics?

1. Stevennix2001 profile image83
    Stevennix2001posted 5 years ago

According to ESPN, Danny Ainge suggested that he thinks it might be best to tweak his team a bit to improve from this season. Although, he said that any lineup changes would be up to Doc Rivers, he did suggest that it might be best to have either Paul Pierce or Ray Allen come off the bench in favor of starting Jeff Green. However, the decision is ultimately Rivers' if that happens.  Therefore what are you're thoughts on this?  Which one would you bench in favor of Green?  Or would you just keep them starting?  If you do decide to leave things the same, then what changes would you make to Boston's current roster?  Please discuss.

2. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 5 years ago

greens better off the bench but its not a bad idea to let him start for ray and pussy i mean pierce once in awhile

1. Stevennix2001 profile image83
      Stevennix2001posted 5 years ago in reply to this

lollol well said grimlock. well said, as I think you have a point there. lollol

3. LakeShow T profile image80
    LakeShow Tposted 5 years ago

I can see why the Celtics would consider such a move considering how successful they had been when they had a strong bench for the three years prior to this one. The starting unit is going to be strong either way, so bringing either Allen or Pierce off the bench would give them that Super 6th man like Jason Terry, Lamar Odom, Jamal Crawford, or like the Spurs had been using Ginobili up until this year. Regardless, the Celtics will be cutting down the minutes of Pierce and maybe Allen the way they had already cut down KG's minutes over the last few years. I believe they plan to resign Jeff Green and perhaps they also believe that giving him a starting role would boost his confidence and make him feel like an integrel part of the team, which I do not think he felt in his short time there to this point. It sounds like they want to make Rondo and Green the first building blocks to their future after the big 3. This would help those two build up that chemistry.

What I would do however is I would not resign Jeff Green. I do not think he's worth the money. I would keep the starting unit in tact and try to sign other free agents who can help them try to win in the next year or two. I think a player like the aforementioned Jamal Crawford or J.R. Smith would fit well on the team. Perhaps they can get Troy Murphy into shape (which he wasn't this year)and they can resign him for cheap, considering his wasted season this year. Remember he was a versatile 15/10 type of player for years who could hit a lot of threes before he was put in Avery Johnson's doghouse. Otherwise they could go out and get a solid, but yet inexpensive, Center like Samuel Dalembert who is also a free agent. Or how about a 3 point sharpshooter like Jason Kapono?

I really think adding a dynamic scoring option like Crawford or J.R. Smith would be the best options though. Granted, none of these things are rumored, but I am going off the top of my head from players I know are free agents who could add a needed dynamic to the Celtics.

1. LakeShow T profile image80
      LakeShow Tposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Wow. It sounds like the Celtics and I are thinking along the same wavelength. I just read they are interested in acquiring Crawford one day after mentioning he would be a great fit for them.