Is Tiger Woods still relevant to professional golf

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 12 years ago

I felt like this weekend's US Open I was watching a renewed game where there is intrigue and interest without Tiger.

One young talented and seemingly nice guy that plays at the highest level is very refreshing.  Looking forward to seeing Rory play next.

2. drej2522 profile image67
    drej2522posted 12 years ago

I would love to see Rory grow into a 'master' of the game. Then, when the time is right, I would like the see Tiger come back (back to his height) and witness a true golf rivalry...

3. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

Rivalries are great for sports.  Mickelson and Els were near the top of their games when Tiger was in his prime.  Rory is probably five years out.  I don't see Tiger regaining his late twenties form when he's 40.  Maybe there is another star waiting to emerge.

4. bgamall profile image68
    bgamallposted 12 years ago

He is relevant because he is one of the top two golfers in the history of the game. He should get motivated by Rory. He has to be chomping at the bit.

5. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

History definitely has a place for him and I think he has an outside chance of catching Jack's 18 majors, but the game has moved on since he was the dominant player and the most feared.  TV ratings have suffered since he's been out.  I suspect the game will recover without him.

6. The Suburban Poet profile image83
    The Suburban Poetposted 12 years ago

He is relevant because there is still a high probability that he can return and be a contendor for major championships. I'm not sure he will ever dominate a tournament like he did earlier in his career but I think he is still highly amibitious. It seems he just needs to heal up. Rory may be the best thing that has ever happened to Tiger because now Tiger can take on the mantle of underdog and get motivated not just by history but what is happening right in front of him.

7. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

Golf needed Tiger for what has seemed like a long time.  After this weekend, it's not the case for me.  I'd love to see him play at a dominant level again, but I think he can still have a great four days and win another major, I just don't see him doing it over long stretches.

8. K-Gunk profile image60
    K-Gunkposted 12 years ago

Tiger is relevant to the game of golf because no matter what is going on in his personal life or with his health he can step on to any golf course and automatically be one of the top 5 golfers in the field. That provides excitment. If Rory had not played one of the finest tournaments that golf has ever seen what would have been the headline for this weekend? Jason Day shooting -8? 2 Americans finishing in the top 5? Golf still NEEDS Tiger.

9. profile image0
    Husky1970posted 12 years ago

I totally agree with you Paul.  There are a number of very good young men on the PGA Tour who are completely undaunted by Tiger.  Certainly Rory is one of them.  I honestly believe we have seen Tiger's best days and doubt that he will ever win another major.  The debate will be "Tiger or Jack" and while that debate is going on, the next star or two will be starting a new legacy and a new era.

10. dutchman1951 profile image59
    dutchman1951posted 12 years ago

Tiger is injured, and still recovering. Revelant is not a concern as much as his recovery. When he is well, then talk relevant. His attempt to play was way to early for his injury. Egged and goated on by Media, and fan speculation that was affecting his sponser income. The fickled stay for few min's after the fall, the sincer wish for him better.

And Reguardless, he still acomplished more than the rest, even with Rory's win this weekend. You or I could not do what he has done and proven, past or not.

11. earnestshub profile image82
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

I'm inclined to agree. World class golfers are not easy to write off.

The young talent coming through is extraordinary, but it may be too early to write off Tiger Woods. smile

1. dutchman1951 profile image59
      dutchman1951posted 12 years agoin reply to this

the Young Talent now is extra fanominal. In a few years we may be revisiting days like before with Player, Biesterous, Palmer, Nicholas, Couples, Miller, Monty, Norman ( mt personal favoriye) etc....
      And with the young guns coming on now.  And the Courses adding length, it should be great.

Tiger will survive I am sure, but he has already said openly that he can not swing like he used to anymore. He is re-making himself after the injury. Has to,  to keep his joint health, and to finish a good career he started.     smile

1. earnestshub profile image82
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I came back very strong after losing my lateral dorsal and running in to joint problems because of all the surgery and muscle rearranging.

I had an aggressive physiotherapist who I thought must have been sent to kill me! lol
        She was so small she could fit under my arm, but drove me like you would a bullock team!

It worked like magic for me. I was doing hundreds of shoulder rotations daily and other stretching exercises to the limit as well.

I was 50. He is younger, stronger and fitter than I was. That is why I believe he could come back from injury.
        I'm not so sure he will recover psychologically, that is my bigger doubt. smile

12. LakeShow T profile image73
    LakeShow Tposted 12 years ago

For me, I've watched about every golf event (especially the Majors) Woods has played in since he turned pro. I watched it sparingly before that time. Now, when Woods is not playing or not in contention, I just don't have the interest to watch anymore; not even the majors.

I think this could've worked out better for Golf if Woods game did not plummet like it did when it did. If Woods would still be that player to contend in every event he played in,like he used to, I think people would have had more time to build up an interest in all of the young talent in golf because rivalries would have been formed and the torch would have been eventually passed.

1. platinumOwl4 profile image71
      platinumOwl4posted 12 years agoin reply to this

If he were not relevant the question would not have been asked. However, for all of those who wonder if he is relevant. They should ask how much has he contributed to the sport since his arrival.

13. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

No doubt that he helped the game at a time it's declining. Without Tiger things would be worse for golf.  While it would be great to see him contend for majors from time to time, like Tom Watson did a couple of years ago at the British Open, I think the game can succeed without him now.

14. prettydarkhorse profile image55
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

Maybe he can still come back. Mcllroy can be a replacement just to have excitement again! What's not to like with Mcllroy, he is hot and boyish....He can make women watch golf

15. profile image53
    Swernootposted 12 years ago

"Discover The Four Secret Magic Moves PGA Pros Don't Want You to Know & How To Use Them To HalveYour Handicap - Plus Add At Least 27 Yards! ”  <a href="http://00e46m54u82fuydpu7k1yjcbty.hop.clickbank.net/" target="_top">Click Here!</a>

16. profile image0
    Husky1970posted 12 years ago

I agree completely Paul.  Although a major Tiger comeback in the future cannot be counted out, I do believe he is history and it is extremely unlikely.  The game is very healthy right now and there are many young and talented players who have created fan interest.

17. optimus grimlock profile image61
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

Golf has dropped dramaticly in ratings without him eventho the last few tournaments were pretty good. Only time will tell if Rory and Clarke can prevail or drop of the face of the earth (sort of speak.) side note smile The problem is its a game and fans cant make noise. Thats a major problem with golf and tennis.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)