Cigarette smoking runner

1. 59
    Matthewcloudposted 5 years ago via iphone

Senior year in high school I was a varsity cross country runner.  I smoked about 5 cigarettes a day and still did very well.  I would easily.. Well not easily.. but expectedly break 20 minutes for 5k runs on a regular basis.  I was a nico-teen.  I smoked cigarettes and still excelled athletically.  Now, however, I am a 20 year old that smokes a pack a day and is out of shape.  I have no intention of quitting cigarettes, but I would love to get back in shape.  I think I'll keep my addiction.  And my running shoes.

2. Cagsil profile image82
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Sorry, don't believe you.

5 packs a day and now you're down to 1 pack a day? What? Did you not inhale? lol

3. itsmonkeyboy profile image78
    itsmonkeyboyposted 5 years ago

I smoke, and it's something I regret all the time. I really wish I'd never started as I find it so hard to quit. I'm aiming at quitting soon though. Again! One of the main reasons being that it wasn't till I was in my thirties that I really started to notice a downfall in my athleticism because of smoking, throughout my twenties it didn't appear to be a problem. But now however it's impacting me, and I love cycling so much I don't wish for it to impact that any further.

I hope that sooner rather than later you love running more than smoking and make a choice between the two. You will more than likely have to make that choice one day, and hopefully the choice won't be made for you.