jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)

Would martial artists in the movies really succeed in the UFC?

1. spkanu profile image61
    spkanuposted 5 years ago

I know guys like Jet Li, Steven Segal, W. Snipes, Jackie Chan and Bruce will make it, but what about the rest?

1. Reality Bytes profile image93
      Reality Bytesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Anyone can beat any other on a given day.  That question would be impossible to answer.

2. Rain Defence profile image96
    Rain Defenceposted 5 years ago

How do you know they'd make it?

1. mischeviousme profile image60
      mischeviousmeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Just because someone looks good doing the motions, does not mean they are the best. Jackie Chan is a comedian, Steven segal is a passifist and Bruce Lee is dead. Where one is good, the other sucks.

3. rbe0 profile image60
    rbe0posted 5 years ago

the girl from Hanna would kick ass.

4. Cardisa profile image90
    Cardisaposted 5 years ago

Well, even though Jacki Chan is a 'comedian', he is a trained fighter. But I doubt that Steven Segal still has any juice left. My personal fave would be Jet Li because I know he is a trained fighter. But I know quite a few 'real life' martial art fighters who would beat the crap out of them in any real competition.

One of our prize fighters here in Jamaica is Dwain Brown who beat Hong Kong, Japan, China, Canada and US.

I also believe the Chief Instructor for the Jamaica Self Defense Academy could beat the crap out of any one of them, oh and Patty English could do it too!

5. Gordon Hamilton profile image95
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 5 years ago

First of all, what is the UFC? Never heard of it.

Martial arts are many and varied and what few movies I have seen depicting them are extremely inaccurate.

I studied shotokan for a number of years and never once saw it accurately depicted in film, in terms of the mental discipline which far surpasses the physical requirements. People seem to think that the martial arts are simply a way of learning how to fight better than the next guy, while nothing could be further from the truth.

The hardest part for me was probably learning the required rudiments of the Japanese language!

1. Cardisa profile image90
      Cardisaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi Gordon, the UFC is the Ultimate Fighting Championship, and you are right. Even fighters who have been trained who act movie parts have to be train with a movie fighter. It has to appear a certain way on film for it to be "exciting" . It's never as it really seem.

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image95
        Gordon Hamiltonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, Cardisa. I suppose I should probably have guessed something like that name. Sounds like a computer game... smile

6. Max Dalton profile image81
    Max Daltonposted 5 years ago

I think most of those guys you listed would have been ripped to pieces, even at the top of their game.

1. Cardisa profile image90
      Cardisaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You are right. Real fighters would have made mince meat of them..lol

7. mel22 profile image59
    mel22posted 5 years ago

Don't beleive any of the ones mentioned would succeed because UFC is largely dominated by ground assault by jiu jitsu practitioners.. talking k-1 might be different story since its all on feet fighting dominated by kickers. Lee would dominate in k-1 in his division but not UFC in my opinion but who knows . John liu could dominate his class in k-1 as well but not UFC again. Seagall is up in the air for me...at his particular weight class probably not much in UFC but maybe at cruiserweight he could dominate with some ground ability and aikido takedowns and locks but not in k-1: just the opposite: i think the venue matters

8. mel22 profile image59
    mel22posted 5 years ago

I also beleive Lee would dominate in a weapons venue so again I think it depends on the venue . as would Gordon Liu in a weapons venue.. ever watch Heroes of the East, that guys proficient in just about every weapon available not just nunchucku.

1. CyclingFitness profile image91
      CyclingFitnessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'll throw a name into the mix- Chuck Norris. In his prime would Chuck Norris be able to fight in the UFC?

I'll be honest I know what the UFC is but never really watched it

1. Matt in Jax profile image80
        Matt in Jaxposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well at 170 lb which Chuck Norris was around in his prime, he would have to fight Jon Fitch, George St. Pierre, or Thiago Alves...he wouldn't stand a chance.

working