Which sport do you think will be the 'next big thing'

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (25 posts)
  1. CyclingFitness profile image90
    CyclingFitnessposted 12 years ago

We've seen kettlebells make a rise

Ultimate frisby is gaining popularity

What do you see as a future big sport?

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Apparently the largest growing sport in US schools and colleges is Rugby. It's one of the largest world sports already, if it catches on in the US then it could become the World's biggest sport especially if large sponsors get involved.

While soccer should have succeeded in the US, it mostly failed - probably because it is so different to the big 4 sports - at least Rugby is physical and has some similarities to Football - I know one Football star has already switched to Rugby an is playing for the US team - as more switch then people will begin to take note.

The other sport that could succeed worldwide if the US starts watching it is T20 cricket - it's kind of like baseball, is very exciting and has cheer leaders - there is also a huge amount of money in the game!

1. abiwagal profile image57
        abiwagalposted 12 years agoin reply to this

i think football ruled and will rule.

CyclingFitnessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Which football?

2. revortay1 profile image59
      revortay1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

PaintBall!

3. itsmonkeyboy profile image67
      itsmonkeyboyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cycling is definitely up there! More and more people are taking it up everyday, but it just doesn't seem to hit the headlines unfortunately.

Rugby is definitely up there with worldwide accolade of late. And you're right about T20 cricket, it has me excited about cricket for the first time since I played cricket at school which was quite a long time ago!

But it does depend on how you quantify the 'next big thing', are you pondering this as being worldwide public glamour like football became, or F1, or something the general public can all take on without the glare of the spotlight.

If it's not the tv coverage but the thrill of taking part then apart from cycling, triathlons and mini triathlons are becoming very popular from what I can tell these days.

4. shop online fast profile image61
      shop online fastposted 12 years agoin reply to this

i don't know about big thing because it's the money that makes anything big for me.  but if you're talking about a sport becoming popular, i have to say that i'd love to see ordinary medium-sized women running.  i went to a church track and field event over this summer, and, i have to tell you, the hottest event was sexy 40 year-old women running, competing against each other.  it was more than hot.  believe me

2. profile image0
    RookerySpoonerposted 12 years ago

Snail racing would I think prove very popular.

3. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

http://img-ipad.lisisoft.com/img/3/1/3129-1-lingerie-football-league-photos.jpg

1. optimus grimlock profile image61
      optimus grimlockposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I heard there clothed for home and naked for away!

I saw an episode of CSI from a few years ago regarding Lingerie Football.

Rugby is an interesting sport SimeyC- the recent world cup has highlighted how far some of the emerging nations have come. Especially with the expansion of the old five nations competition in the northern hemispher opening up over past years to Itlian rugby to become the Six Nations. It will be interesting to see if the tri nations tournament in the southern hemisphere opens up to the Argentinians in the coming years.

T20 Cricket has great potential as it seems to be a much higher pace. However many traditionalists frown upon T20. It is certainly a great sport that can be played almost anywhere. There are so many nations however I haven't heard alot about it's emergence in other nations as yet- what's it like in the USA and Canada as well as other countries in terms of development?

4. Maddie Ruud profile image73
    Maddie Ruudposted 12 years ago

Flat track roller derby, for the win!

5. CyclingFitness profile image90

Triathlon definitely seems to be getting more publicity than swimming, cycling and running put together!

However not sure how many people know that that Mark Cavendish won the recent world road race championships

6. optimus grimlock profile image61
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

real football not that pansy a... soccer crap smile! Its hard to say what will be the next big sport. I would say the strong man compititions and crossfit will be big before anything else thats been named!

7. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

Well Nascar is proving to be the second most popular sport in america consistently with little signs of slowing down, so I expect their popularity to grow over time.  I also think that it'll be only a matter of time before motocross racing becomes popular.  Plus, I can see extreme sports like skateboarding, surfing and etc becoming more popular because of video games like "Tony Hawk" bringing into the America's mainstream, so I think extreme sports will only get bigger as time goes on.  Granted, it won't garner the same level of audiences that watch the nfl, nba or whatever, as they still have a long ways to go.

8. jcmayer777 profile image65
    jcmayer777posted 12 years ago

I think MMA will continue to grow for many years and became a major sport.

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

that's true.  hell it already outranks boxing in this country, and it doesn't look to be slowing down soon.

9. CyclingFitness profile image90

So you'd like to see running classified based on weight classifications and ages shop online fast' interesting idea. Not sure it would get off the ground but I see some logic in it!

Triathlon has it's own age and weight categories too- it has the Clydesdaale division for above a certain weight.

MMA has potential for huge worldwide growth both in participation, viewing and monetary value! It's not hit the big time yet here in the UK however is gaining in popularity

As for Fottbal (American Football) I can't see that getting big in the UK as we like to see continuous action- It has too many breaks for us. It has a following here but I can't see anything like the NFL developing long term.

10. Mikeydoes profile image45
    Mikeydoesposted 12 years ago

0-0 tie with 6 shots on goal is not what Americans call a good time(aka soccer).

All I know is a couple of weeks ago I was flipping through the channels. And originally thought it was soccer on ESPN so I flipped on passed. I went back to check the bottom line and noticed right away it was rugby.

I figured there was absolutely nothing on, so I'll watch it for a couple of minutes. Within the first minute I saw 2 huge guys heads collide at top speed. They both fell straight to the ground out cold. It was a pretty entertaining segment to watch, but I turned it off after they were both carted off and haven't watched it since.

It is hard to say what sport will be huge next. A lot of the sports we watch today are pretty week. I for one do not even miss or care that the NBA is delayed.

Hockey is by far my favorite sport, better than Football.

Hockey Ice or Field Mikey?

1. Mikeydoes profile image45
        Mikeydoesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ice Hockey, plus I have the Blackhawks who are locked up for at least the next 10 years being a Stanley Cup contender. That always makes it better.

11. The Suburban Poet profile image82
    The Suburban Poetposted 12 years ago

The difference between football and hockey, baseball & basketball ("HBB") is that football is always entertaining while with the other three you have to wait until the playoffs for the real excitement (unless you are a die-hard). I believe there are too many HBB games and they dilute the product. It seems every Sunday though is an event for NFL games. I can't stand to watch a baseball game in the middle of June and I'm a Texas Rangers fan but the game is transformed during the playoffs. Every pitch becomes meaningful while during the regular season we have to struggle through it all. Hockey is pretty exciting to me but it just doesn't have the buzz until the finals when you see the absolute intensity of the players. Same with basketball. I believe nothing will ever supplant football... it will always be the game....

12. CyclingFitness profile image90

With Soccer (our 'football') the cup competitions with knockout stages get more boring the closer to a final in general.

Unfortunately I can't see NFL getting bigger than it is now however. The ill fated European League has never really taken off.

13. manlypoetryman profile image82
    manlypoetrymanposted 12 years ago

http://www.eatmedaily.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/frozen-turkey-bowling.jpg
    Frozen Turkey Bowling!

14. CyclingFitness profile image90

Nice. Any other poultry based sports you think could be big?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)