jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

Should A Non-BCS Conference Team Play for the BCS Championship?

1. mosaicman profile image84
    mosaicmanposted 5 years ago

Should a team that does not belong to a BCS Conference be allowed to play for the BCS Championship? What if there are three teams undefeated, should they be the odd man out?

I say yes. These teams should try to recruit other teams to their conference to try and get a BCS designation or ....change conferences. It is not fair for certain teams to have to go through a guantlet week after week while others push through cake schedules on their way to an undefeated season.

We all know the perfect solution would be to have a 4 or 8 team playoff.

1. Repairguy47 profile image60
      Repairguy47posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't think there are any cakewalks out there, Oklahoma lost to Texas Tech but has destroyed most of the competition.

mosaicmanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You do remember that they both play for a BCS Conference the Big 12.

1. Repairguy47 profile image60
          Repairguy47posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thats not the point, anybody can beat anybody on any given day.

The BCS Championship is not designed (or shouldn't be) to have a Cinderella Team get their chance at greatness. The two teams should have established themselves as the cream of the crop. In doing so they have taken down the toughest competition. I'm not impressed with a Non BCS team beating a BCS team. Some of the SEC, Big 12, PAC 12,Big 10 teams are limping into these games from sustained injuries. If you are not going to be in a BCS conference, your non-conference schedule better be impressive.

2. mosaicman profile image84

Does the results of this weekends crazy results change your answer or feeling?

2. mosaicman profile image84

I meant to say no. I don't think they should be allowed to play for the championship.

2. Michael Willis profile image76
    Michael Willisposted 5 years ago

I say no, unless they have a season schedule that matches the "strength-of-schedule" compared to a BCS conference team. Reality is that these non-BCS conferences are much weaker and so a team can easily go undefeated with a so-so team in certain years.
    There is the disadvantage with BCS teams when the Coaches Poll and Harris Polls are used. BCS teams are ranked high by "tradition and name" to begin the season.
    There should be NO Polling until mid-season and teams have proven themselves first and also included the strength of schedule.

working