jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)

Excuse me, Why would the back of a basketball hoop be made of glass?

1. kmackey32 profile image81
    kmackey32posted 5 years ago

Is that not dangerous?

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago in reply to this

plexiglass?

kmackey32posted 5 years ago in reply to this

No its GLASS....The kind that shatters

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
          SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago in reply to this

well that doesn't make much sense does it?  did you buy it or something?

No no. I just saw a video of some kids at school and one shattered when they dunked the ball. lol

1. Cagsil profile image61
              Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

And right after it was broken, plexiglass was installed. lol

Well I am sure but why regular glass to begin with. Did no one realize it was dangerous....lol

1. Edwinoel Tanglao profile image82
                  Edwinoel Tanglaoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

A clear, transparent, durable flexi glass may appear appropriate for all spectators and those who wish to see every action on the court, do you agree km?  It gives you a better view even if you are at the back of the boards watching.  Newscasters' cameramen may find these useful to cover exciting activities especially pointing to the action packed 'under the goal' or 'around the goal' offensive and defensive area.

We may better want to see our favorite NBA stars like Kobe Bryant and great dunking Griffin doing their thing on a glass board than on a dark hard board if we are watching from behind the boards, or would we not care?

1. profile image60
                    zman76posted 5 years ago in reply to this

That's why us under 6 foot  guys prefer to play below the rim. smile

2. paoloumali profile image60
    paoloumaliposted 5 years ago

Because it is cheaper. Sellers simply don't care. So do the buyers.

3. I am DB Cooper profile image69
    I am DB Cooperposted 5 years ago

It's plexiglass so fans sitting on the ends of the court can see through it. Otherwise, it would block a significant portion of the action. Plexiglass does shatter if enough force is applied, but the broken shards are not nearly as sharp as broken glass, and they are lighter and less likely to cause injury when falling from 10+ feet. Even the plexiglass boards around a hockey rink are sometimes shattered by a hard check.

working