Am I a master or have I just mastered myself?

1. mischeviousme profile image60
    mischeviousmeposted 4 years ago

My students used to call me master, that was until I told that there was no such thing, outside of the self.

It is my opinion that no one is a master until somebody says so. I cannot see myself as a master until I am sure I have mastered who I believe I am. This is true masterhood. To be enlightened to a point where, the label mirrors the person, not the teaching.

I charge my students to learn as many things as they can, whether it be martial arts, the violin, or writing sonettes. When they can prove that they are intelligent enough to understand what I am talking about, that is when I teach them what I have learned.

This does not make me a master though. I am just a practitioner of an idea, the idea of motion and thought. The idea that we should watch our tempers and act accordingly. The idea of physics in motion.

To be a master, truly, is to practice all of these things as one, not just the motions. The idea is to act flawlessly and to teach it with an open mind. The true master has yet to learn.