jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Lakers Loyalty

1. ocbill profile image74
    ocbillposted 4 years ago

They just traded away Lamar Odom as step to make room for Dwight Howard. Odom makes 8.9 mil. Walton makes around 7-ish?.
    Their style of mgmt is one of disloyalty. It is ALL BUSSiness with the Lakers (Fakers).  In the 90's, they traded away Divac to get a top pick in Kobe, they traded Eddie Jones and other players to get Shaq. The ONLY players they are loyal too are the unequivocal fan favorites who are superstars;  Magic and currently Kobe.  No wonder players who previously played for the Lakers criticize mgmt for how cold they were during the dealings.

1. Stevennix2001 profile image83
      Stevennix2001posted 4 years ago in reply to this

team loyalty?  owners have as much loyalty to players, as the players have to them...which would be none.  No, unless a player is a super star in their respected sport, and they're putting butts in the stands, then every other player on the roster is nothing more than a commodity.  Hell, look at the Dallas Cowboys in the nfl.  They traded away Emmitt Smith during his twilight years, after he broke the all time rushing record, and he was traded immediately afterwards that same said season.  Hell, the Yankees do it all the time in baseball.

As for the lakers, who cares?  If you stop to think about it, then you might as well hate almost every other nba team in the league, as they're guilty of doing the same damn thing as the lakers.  Look at what happened with Dennis Rodman.  He was completely loyal to the Pistons, in his early years, and even admitted that he wanted to retire there originally playing only for that team.  But guess what happened?  They traded him away to the Spurs, even though Rodman was a loyal player to Detroit.  It's just the nature of the game. 

Who's to say this won't work out for the lakers in the long run?  Personally, I too feel it was a mistake to trade odom to be honest, but we'll have to wait and see how it shakes out.  Personally, I think the Lakers NEED to trade away Fisher, or make him retire because he's definitely not the defensive player he used to be, and he hasn't been as consistent in hitting clutch shots like before.  In fact, it's because of him, the lakers' back court sucks when it comes to defense, so he needs to retire. As for Kobe, I think he'll stay as long as he puts butts in the seats, but he's definitely not the player that he once was, and they need a player for the future to build around; hence I can understand why the lakers want Dwight Howard so badly.  Don't get me wrong, I think Bynum is a good center, and I think he has the potential of growing to become one of the elite centers in the nba, but I don't see it happening in LA for him.  Why?  Because Paul Gasol and Kobe demand too many touches of the ball that Bynum barely has the opportunity to develop his offensive abilities too.  And knowing how Kobe would rather try to win now rather than work towards the future, it's not surprising Kobe would rather play next to a player that's already developed than waiting for a player like Bynum to live up to his potential. 

This is why I can understand why the Lakers would want Howard, as he's already an elite center.  In fact, he's arguably the best one out there, so the Lakers or any other franchise would be fools for not wanting him.

2. thelyricwriter profile image50
    thelyricwriterposted 4 years ago

They may end up better off with this trade, but Odom had a great season last year, really one of his best last season. They will miss his play, but that first round pick is important to them. Even so, I am glad the other players stood up for him. I am just waiting to see their direction before I go any further. It all may work out in the end. I agree, business is business and at the end of the day, that is what it is.

3. jcales profile image75
    jcalesposted 4 years ago

Business is business. Chris Paul now a Clipper with Blake Griffin, DeAndre Jordan, Mo Wms, Bledsoe, Caron Butler. Oh My, that is a team I'll be watching this yr.

4. optimus grimlock profile image61
    optimus grimlockposted 4 years ago

bledsoe looked as good as gordon at times last year. They will be good tpo watch! Mr kardasian away from the lake show is an average player at best.