Do you think Pete Rose should be in the HOF? Not Me.

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)
  1. seattleamilehigh1 profile image61
    seattleamilehigh1posted 12 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5936951_f248.jpg
    I can't help it. Pete Rose got EXACTLY what he knew was coming, and he kept on betting. He was not and still is not bigger than the game, as he has found out. If Barry Bonds never gets into the hall, I'm ok with that as long as Pete does not. Not that I think cheating like Bonds did isn't much worse than what Pete did, both thought they could just keep getting away with it. Nobody is allowed to be above the game, period.

2. seattleamilehigh1 profile image61

Thoughts anyone?

1. profile image57
      Timmy Hposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You can't bet on the sport you participated in period. He should never be allowed back into baseball. As for the hall until he wrote the book and admitted guilt to help with sales I would have put him in. I thought he had served his time. Not now.  As for the men who took steroids I'd vote for all of them. Those inside baseball knew what they were doing. They made a lot of money off of them. That includes the press. If they weren't high and mighty about stopping it when it was going on then don't be high and mighty now.

3. seattleamilehigh1 profile image61

good comment dude, almost my thoughts exactly.

4. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 12 years ago

It depends on the criteria.  For his baseball play he deserves to be in.  For is off the field behavior, he clearly didn't represent the game well.

5. Matt in Jax profile image60
    Matt in Jaxposted 12 years ago

Because he didn't represent the game well shouldn't fully bar him from the Hall of Fame. If they banned people for everything that they've done off the field, there's a lot of people coming in within the next decade who shouldn't deserve it, but they will be in there without a doubt. Pete Rose was a victim of a having to become the setup man for what not to do. Pete Rose's ban shows the Commissioner of baseball has power and he can flex it when he wants to and when he doesn't.

6. seattleamilehigh1 profile image61

Ya, but see betting on baseball has always been a lifetime banishment, Shoeless Joe Jackson was the poster boy for that. The commish has always had the power, but rarely uses is, more so I think for instances like Rose and eventually Bonds, when players get bigger than the game.

7. profile image0
    El Rayposted 12 years ago

I think Pete deserves to be in the Hall of Fame for the only criteria that should matter: his on-field contribution to the game of baseball.

8. seattleamilehigh1 profile image61

Just like Bonds?

9. I am DB Cooper profile image62
    I am DB Cooperposted 12 years ago

Rose took 15 years to admit he did something wrong publicly, and he only did it to boost his own book sales. If he had come clean in 1989, joined a gambling addiction support group, and been a better ambassador to the game of baseball, I would have been ok with a 20-year ban. Instead, he claimed he never bet on the game, spent two decades petitioning to be reinstated, went to Cooperstown every year during induction weekend just to steal some of the limelight and make $50 a pop for his autograph, and finally came clean in a book that probably made him millions. No, I think the ban should stay.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)