jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)

Do you think Pete Rose should be in the HOF? Not Me.

1. seattleamilehigh1 profile image60
    seattleamilehigh1posted 4 years ago

I can't help it. Pete Rose got EXACTLY what he knew was coming, and he kept on betting. He was not and still is not bigger than the game, as he has found out. If Barry Bonds never gets into the hall, I'm ok with that as long as Pete does not. Not that I think cheating like Bonds did isn't much worse than what Pete did, both thought they could just keep getting away with it. Nobody is allowed to be above the game, period.

2. seattleamilehigh1 profile image60

Thoughts anyone?

1. 61
      Timmy Hposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You can't bet on the sport you participated in period. He should never be allowed back into baseball. As for the hall until he wrote the book and admitted guilt to help with sales I would have put him in. I thought he had served his time. Not now.  As for the men who took steroids I'd vote for all of them. Those inside baseball knew what they were doing. They made a lot of money off of them. That includes the press. If they weren't high and mighty about stopping it when it was going on then don't be high and mighty now.

3. seattleamilehigh1 profile image60

good comment dude, almost my thoughts exactly.

4. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 4 years ago

It depends on the criteria.  For his baseball play he deserves to be in.  For is off the field behavior, he clearly didn't represent the game well.

5. Matt in Jax profile image80
    Matt in Jaxposted 4 years ago

Because he didn't represent the game well shouldn't fully bar him from the Hall of Fame. If they banned people for everything that they've done off the field, there's a lot of people coming in within the next decade who shouldn't deserve it, but they will be in there without a doubt. Pete Rose was a victim of a having to become the setup man for what not to do. Pete Rose's ban shows the Commissioner of baseball has power and he can flex it when he wants to and when he doesn't.

6. seattleamilehigh1 profile image60

Ya, but see betting on baseball has always been a lifetime banishment, Shoeless Joe Jackson was the poster boy for that. The commish has always had the power, but rarely uses is, more so I think for instances like Rose and eventually Bonds, when players get bigger than the game.

7. 0
    El Rayposted 4 years ago

I think Pete deserves to be in the Hall of Fame for the only criteria that should matter: his on-field contribution to the game of baseball.

8. seattleamilehigh1 profile image60

Just like Bonds?

9. I am DB Cooper profile image66
    I am DB Cooperposted 4 years ago

Rose took 15 years to admit he did something wrong publicly, and he only did it to boost his own book sales. If he had come clean in 1989, joined a gambling addiction support group, and been a better ambassador to the game of baseball, I would have been ok with a 20-year ban. Instead, he claimed he never bet on the game, spent two decades petitioning to be reinstated, went to Cooperstown every year during induction weekend just to steal some of the limelight and make $50 a pop for his autograph, and finally came clean in a book that probably made him millions. No, I think the ban should stay.