jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

The Jaguars owner Shahid Khan Disses Fans

1. Cassie Smith profile image75
    Cassie Smithposted 4 years ago

Khan seems to think that you're only a fan if you hold a season ticket.  It's all about the pocketbook for him it seems.  Of course after he said it and realized what a major foot in mouth comment it was he said that a fan is anyone who loves the Jaguars.  But is the damage done?

2. I am DB Cooper profile image65
    I am DB Cooperposted 4 years ago

I understand his frustration, but he should have realized what he was getting into when he bought the team a few months ago. Florida is an incredibly fickle pro sports market. Fans will not commit to their team unless they know they're going to be successful, and even then it's a struggle because of the odd demographics (a mix of natural Floridians, twentysomethings who move to Florida to party and hang out on the beach, and retirees who want to play golf all year). Jacksonville had to blackout games a few years ago even though they made the playoffs. Baseball's Tampa Bay Rays struggle to sell out Tropicana Field when they are in the playoffs, let alone during the regular season.

Khan probably doesn't care if he does alienate the fans. I bet he's trying to get a sweet deal to move the team to LA.

3. teamelite21 profile image60
    teamelite21posted 4 years ago

Yeah, damage is done. The fans will get over it, they always do. However, he really needs someone to help him with what he says in interviews. If this kind of thing happens a lot, it can get more serious. True fans can't be measured by how much money you spend, or how many times you go to the game.

I am a panthers fan. I have never been to a game, but I catch them on TV every Sunday. I watched them, and they were my team, even when they only won 1 game back in 2000. That's a fan. Bandwagon jumpers can buy tickets.....get outta my face Khan....lol!

4. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 4 years ago

hes only owned the team a year or so. he needs to sell it and buy an mls one because he doesnt understand the real football!!!!

5. superior45 profile image61
    superior45posted 4 years ago

He just got transfered ownership on Jan 4th so he only has owned for 10 days or so and made comment after only being in charge for a couple days.  I could give him a break on this comment.  What he needs to do is show commitment by spending to get better through free agency and draft.  But with that being said this town is a college town and always will be. 
    The only way it stays successful as a pro team town is if it can sell the season tickets and club seats to corporations in town.  With economy tough corporate tickets are hard to come by. If it can not do that than very well will always be tough sell to the masses in Jacksonville. 
    Unless Khan wants to pay a outrageous buyout from city to move or show he club lost money 2 straight years(NFL execs would not want books to be shown) than he is hear for at least 10-15 more years.
    Fans here are not the brightest about their pro team either.....I heard comments after Khan saying they will just go by big screen tv and watch team on tv free instead of giving Khan money.   BUT WAIT if they dont buy tickets than it is BLACKED OUT and big tv purchased does no good.  Most of their games this year had to get extention to even make it from being blacked out so its going to be rough if money does not get spent to improve.

6. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 4 years ago

i new it wasnt long. the nfl blacks out games when ever they want. its suppose to be 70% of them but the bucs had 3 games blacked out and they sold 80% of there tickets so who knows.