jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

Penn State's Joe Paterno Speaks Out

1. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

Joe Paterno is 85 years old. He is undergoing chemo and radiation for lung cancer. He was terminated over the Sandusky sex scandal. However, he is not being criminally charged.
    Whether you stand behind Paterno or vilify him for not doing more, you may see things differently after reading this.
    This interview is long, but a worthwhile read.
    It opened my eyes to some key points that have been glossed over in all of the media hoopla.
    Nothing can change the horrible fact of all those young boys being abused.

I will look forward to hearing hubbers' opinions on where blame really belongs here.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/co … story.html

1. imichelle profile image73
      imichelleposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I read his initial response about hoping "someone else" would handle it and found it incredibly weaselly.  He was head coach, the buck should have stopped with him.

This wasn't the 1970s, it was just a few years ago! How could he "not know how to handle it"?  The whole thing infuriates me.  Those poor boys!

Mighty Momposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Ah. But he wasn't informed about the shower incident until 2002.
        That was three years after the dude stopped working with Paterno (1999).
        So there was no direct working relationship with Sandusky at the time.

Did the Penn State system fail these boys?
        Did the College Park district attorney fail these boys (when a mother associated with his charity reported him)?

There are 7 investigations pending.
        Hopefully, the truth will emerge.

2. Mentalist acer profile image61
    Mentalist acerposted 4 years ago

As Head Coach,Sometimes Delegating Responsibility To Both Over Head Is Simply All You Can Do....If He Did Not Do This Then He Is At Fault If He Did Report To Some One Over Him Then Who That Someone Is Should Then Also Hold The Blame...Everyone,including Joe,And Above Is Responsible.;-))

3. I am DB Cooper profile image68
    I am DB Cooperposted 4 years ago

He wasn't terminated from his job. He was suspended with pay. They didn't use that term during the November 9th announcement, instead just saying that he would no longer be the Penn State football coach. Records released last week show he was paid until the end of the year and then he retired. Basically, they came to an agreement that would keep Paterno from facing the scrutiny of the Penn State board of trustees and even more criticism from the media.

Paterno almost certainly could have done more after first hearing the allegations about Sandusky, and even though Sandusky was retired he was still a friend of his and a regular on the Penn State campus. Everyone just passed the information about the allegations on to the next guy and nobody bothered to follow through and find out what was happening. They thought if they just covered their eyes and their ears it would all just go away. There were people who were technically Paterno's superiors who heard about the allegations, but nobody at Penn State held more clout than Paterno. People followed his actions, and in this case his inaction may have allowed the assaults to continue.

Joe Pa was a figurehead on the football team at this point anyway. He wasn't making any coaching decisions, and he wasn't even wearing headphones when he was sitting in the press box at games. He was basically a spectator getting paid millions a year to watch college football games.

Terminated is the word used in this article.

I honestly don't know what to think. If he was some other, less illustrious, less storied football coach, would they have gone after him more ardently?
      I think probably yes. I think his reputation helped to shield him.

But it also sounds like a LOT of people turned their heads on this.
      Not even passed the buck. Just ignored it. Obviously not thinking about the real issue. THe young boys.

And a LOT of people knew about Sandusky's foundation. In this article Paterno even talks about having told Sandusky he would have to stop spending so much time on the foundation if he was serious about a coaching position vs. asst coach.

1. JoshuaThePost profile image61
        JoshuaThePostposted 4 years ago in reply to this

My problem in all of this is not when or how he learned about it all, it lies in the fact he did nothing about it in the first place.

Then here you have Sandusky mulling around the football program including having been seen with young boys by the coaching staff including Paterno?

Whether he was employed by the program or not, he still continued to run his youth camps on satellite campuses owned by the university.  this could have readily been stopped and in my humble opinion should have never been enabled.

Knowing these crimes were committed and not having done something about it, ie.  turning it into the authorities, including not enabling other potential abuse by allowing the camps to go on was a failure.

This was not protecting the existing children in his program, it was enabling a sick old pedophile.

Epic fail IMMHO.

Epic, multi-year fail.

As usual, it comes down to "what did he know and when did he know it?"

But it really saddens me that the guy is 85 and going through cancer treatment and dealing with this NOW. The report to Paterno is 10 years old.
          10 years. That's a long time and a lot of needless victims.
          Paterno's not a victim, but he's being scapegoated by the university.
          What a sad way to end a career ...and a life.

2. I am DB Cooper profile image68
        I am DB Cooperposted 4 years ago in reply to this

This whole interview reeks of PR spin on Paterno's behalf. Paterno's story is basically that he knew Sandusky some when they worked together but when the allegations came forward it had been a long time since they had talked. That's curious, considering how Sandusky still used Penn State's football facilities, including the locker room and showers. Everyone involved with Penn State football seemed to still know Jerry Sandusky years after he retired except for Joe Paterno.

Paterno's story of how he was told he was no longer the coach also doesn't seem to match up with reality. He claims he just received a phone call telling him he was terminated. Did Penn State officials call back later on to tell him he'd still be receiving pay until the end of the year and then they'd allow him to officially retire? He earned more in the final two months of 2011 (while not working) than most Americans will earn in 4 years. He's also in line for a nice $500,000/year pension. We're talking about a lot of money here, but I guess all the details were worked out if you just read between the lines when his bosses said "you're terminated". I know if my boss told me I was fired, I'd just assume I'd get paid through the end of the year.

I think Joe Paterno was upset that he was being forced out, and he figured he would look better if he made himself out to be the victim of Penn State's Board of Trustees. His family continues to say to the media that "the whole thing was handled the wrong way". What does that even mean? What was the right way for the board to handle this situation. The most powerful man at Penn State was told point-blank by an assistant (and former star player at Penn State) that he witnessed Sandusky raping a boy in the locker room shower. That same assistant is blamed for waiting 10 days after telling Paterno to go to the authorities, and rightfully so, but what was Joe Paterno doing in those 10 days? Paterno should have been talking to the authorities within 5 minutes of Mike McQueary telling him what he saw. Paterno knew the power he had as the unofficial King of State College. There's a reason why McQueary went to him first instead of the authorities. Penn State was once nicknamed "Linebacker U.", and Jerry Sandusky is the defensive genius who molded those linebackers. Even in retirement, very few people held more clout at Penn State than Jerry Sandusky. Joe Paterno was one of those people, and he failed miserably in the most challenging moment of his career.

Don't sugarcoat it, DB Cooper.
          Tell us how you really feel lol

Seriously, I hear your points.
          I don't disagree with your points.
          I think the real reason I even opened this thread was to see how my gut reaction -- which is informed by a very different "history" of Joe Pa than yours -- jibed with others who are seeing this situation from a different perspective.

I was brought up with Joe Paterno. Not the man, the legend. He was a college buddy of my late Uncle Kevin. I never met him, but he was a household name in our house growing up. As I said, he was legend, but less for his team's record on the field than just the immense friendship and esteem held by my Uncle.
          Now UK was hardly a saint -- far from it!
          But he was honorable. That I know.
          On the other hand, UK was a devout Catholic and I believe (assume) Joe P's Catholic, too. So men in positions of power abusing young boys really is -- or should be -- nothing unheard of for them, right?

It's also hugely ironic to me on a very personal level that Joe Paterno is now battling lung cancer. That is what took my uncle down in 1985.
          I can't help but wonder what UK would think of all this.

I honestly don't know. But I think about it.

4. prettydarkhorse profile image64
    prettydarkhorseposted 4 years ago

He is dead now.

His immediate family's statement

"He died as he lived. He fought hard until the end, stayed positive, thought only of others and constantly reminded everyone of how blessed his life had been. His ambitions were far reaching, but he never believed he had to leave this Happy Valley to achieve them. He was a man devoted to his family, his university, his players and his community."

The Penn State Board of Trustees and University President in another statement

"We grieve for the loss of Joe Paterno, a great man who made us a greater university. His dedication to ensuring his players were successful both on the field and in life is legendary and his commitment to education is unmatched in college football. His life, work and generosity will be remembered always."