jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

1. Refster profile image59
    Refsterposted 7 years ago

If you can't tell by my username I'm an official. On my hub you can kind of get an idea of what it's like to be an official.

Sometimes I think people just see officials as robots in the middle of the game. I started a blog this year on my football season to show what the games are like through our eyes. I've actually received a lot of positive feedback. To bad of course every once in awhile someone is negative.

I'd be interested to hear everyone's feedback here and know if you're even interested how things are from our point of view.

2. elisabeth reid profile image78
    elisabeth reidposted 7 years ago

I've always held the highest respect for officials, regardless of the sport.  For the most part it's a thankless job...and one where you're sure to piss off someone at some point.  One of my kids does some officiating as a way of earning some extra money while he's in college...and while he loves it, I know it frustrates him sometimes, too.

3. AEvans profile image73
    AEvansposted 7 years ago

I highly respect referees , it certainly isn't a job that I would wish to do. Someone is always in your face yelling , and ocassionally you end up getting smacked all for the love of the game. My hats goes off to you and all of your buddies for a job well done!!!big_smile

4. Refster profile image59
    Refsterposted 7 years ago

Appreciate the feedback.

Believe it or not for the most part the coaches aren't that bad to deal with at all. Of course there are exceptions.

What can be bad is the basketball I had to ref the other night. It was a Men's Basketball Recreation league. The guys that play in this league can be unreal sometimes. I tried hard to make it through the night without giving someone a technical foul.

But, I didn't even make it out of the first game without giving one.

5. Junkster profile image60
    Junksterposted 7 years ago

I believe Referees are often the unsung heroes of many sports, some case ssuch as soccer where cheating/diving happens so much that it stops being a sport and more an ameteur dramatics performance are tough for referees and obviously get grief from the prima donnas who are clamouring for penalties. 

In better sports like Rugby and Basketball where a referee is allowed to consult a replay or a counterpart it is much clearer who is in the right and who is in the wrong. 

Plus I've never seen referees suffer more abuse and questioning than soccer, many players in other sports like Rugby are not allowed to even converse with the officials, only the team captain.  That's probably why I can't stand Soccer anymore.

6. TravelMonkey profile image59
    TravelMonkeyposted 7 years ago

Referees in general cannot be praised as if they make no wrong decisions as they are only doing their job, no referee can go the extra mile, not in my eyes anyway, but as soon as they make one wrong decision they are scrutinised harshly.

In rugby, you call the referee by 'sir' only, yes sir, thank you sir. This is not the case of soccer.

7. ToddieM profile image60
    ToddieMposted 7 years ago

As long as referees stay in the background, and try not to become some sort of figure themselves, they are a thankless bunch BUT paid well at the professional level.
    For those hearty enough to take on the job at lower levels of organized ball, my hat is off to you.
    They are in an incredible position of trust, and aside from one well known crooked basketball ref, have been remarkedly above reproach.

8. 60
    wizdomheardposted 7 years ago

Referrees are a very important part of the game. They make very important decision throughout the game. Which can turn the tides in a close game. I would see to it the I am very kind to the officials if I am on the field. Because referees are human and can lean towards one team or another simply because they are human and can show some degree of favor toward a player of team. But all in all REFEREES are pretty important in sports.