Does Anyone Condone What Luis Suarez Did Yesterday?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (27 posts)
  1. AfricaResource profile image61
    AfricaResourceposted 12 years ago

Luis Suarez refused to shake the hand of Patrice Evra after racially abusing him! Do you agree or disagree with his behavior yesterday?

1. mio cid profile image59
      mio cidposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Are you kidding me? you seem to know nothing about soccer.first of all evra violated all unwritten rules of soccer,even at the highest level of proffesionalism real men in the world of soccer don't go crying to the press or to the justice system because a player has been mean to him, there's no racism in suarez   ,evra will forever be regarded as a rat in the soccer world,players will tell each other anything during  a game to get the adversary bent out of shape and lose concentration, and it's either settled the next time they both go for the ball or somewhere man to man outside the stadium.and this doesn't even matter but evra had before said something to suarez about his sister so when he got a chance he insulted him back.

2. DJProfessorK profile image60
      DJProfessorKposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Right or wrong from Evra, it doesn't change the fact that Suarez acts like a brat. Luckily for him, he isn't playing in a sport where real payback is acceptable.

I see your picture , so I guess you know  a lot about baseball , now by your comment it is obvious you know nothing about soccer, real payback is the reason suarez didn't shake his hand because he broke all the unwritten rules in soccer, he could've punched him in the face and after the game was over it's over but what he did is what  soccer players don't do and that's taking a problem inside the field to the outside.Are you kidding me? you seem to know nothing about soccer.first of all evra violated all unwritten rules of soccer,even at the highest level of proffesionalism real men in the world of soccer don't go crying to the press or to the justice system because a player has been mean to him, there's no racism in suarez   ,evra will forever be regarded as a rat in the soccer world,players will tell each other anything during  a game to get the adversary bent out of shape and lose concentration, and it's either settled the next time they both go for the ball or somewhere man to man outside the stadium.and this doesn't even matter but evra had before said something to suarez about his sister so when he got a chance he insulted him back.

1. DJProfessorK profile image60

Baseball, hockey, American Football, Rugby, etc. etc.

If Suarez (or Evra for that matter) did that in any other sport, they'd probably have reacted much more harshly.

2. DJProfessorK profile image60

Does anyone else love his standard response to those who disagree with him?  "you know nothing about soccer" followed deflection after deflection pinning it all on Evra. It takes two to tango, I thought you'd be able to see that.

not to everyone who disagrees only to those who know nothing about the sport and its culture and environment and make comments based on headlines they read for example i disagree with jerseys4kids but obviously he knows what he is talking about and has a valid personal opinion on it.As a matter of fact I think I disagree with everyone here and am the only one who defends Suarez ,but i don't say that everyone doesn't know anything about soccer but if you are born in a country where kids learn to kick the ball before they learn how to walk and the whole country stops to see your teams win the most important soccer championships in the world you know when someone is opining without knowing.I'm pinning on Evra because he did what no real man soccer player who has any scruples has done in the history of the sport, do you have any idea what opponents throughout their career said to players like Pele,Cruiff,Beckenbauer, Pushkas,Maradona,and hundreds of players which Evra will never have the honor of having  their names mentioned in the same sentence? and you know what they did they either took care of it inside the field , or outside man to man.

2. CyclingFitness profile image92
            CyclingFitnessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I perfectly agree

The irony is that the FA released full details of his argument within the hearing which is pretty unprecidented and branded Suarez to be a liar- Guilty as charged

3. Pearldiver profile image66
      Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Those Two 'Hate' each other and Both are dining out on the issue like the Big Heads that they are!  And it's all Good Press either way for them!

It's NOT Simply a Racial Issue.. It is an Ego Issue!

Maybe if you consider ALL the facts.. you won't Buy Into the BS! smile

2. JKenny profile image91
    JKennyposted 12 years ago

Luis Suarez had an opportunity to bury the past yesterday, but he failed miserably. He wasn't man enough to let bygones be bygones, therefore he's shamed himself (although I doubt, he feels so himself). He's also shamed a legendary manager, Kenny Dalglish and Liverpool FC, as a whole. Personally, I haven't liked him since the World Cup when he handled the ball on the goal line against Ghana, and then celebrated in the tunnel when Ghana missed the subsequent penalty. I think Patrice Evra and Manchester United on the other hand have conducted themselves with great dignity throughout this whole mess and deserve praise.

suarez not man enough? just wait till that worm evra's team plays against any team where there's any uruguayan player and you'll see how insignificant he is in that game because he will be running scared,  the little worm.

2. AfricaResource profile image61
      AfricaResourceposted 12 years agoin reply to this

JKenny - I couldn't agree more! The managing director has also had to come out to apologise on his behalf as he refused to carry out the handshake even though he told the club he would do. He's not a very good professional as he also has previous playing for Ajax biting a players ear.

3. CyclingFitness profile image92

Why is a handshake such an issue? The FA should have outlawed such a procedure for the game and allowed the football do the talking however if you consider the refusal by Suarez he's bring the game into disrepute and deserves far more than the 8 game fine he received.

I have to admit that the 'legendary' Kenny Dalgleish has taken such a bad stance on this despite the fact that Suarez was found to be guilty that he has to be a disagraceful influence a club which is so up it's own backside in it's self opinion (and that of it's fans) that such a situation should happen in future Liverpool will simply try and shrug the issue off.

The FA released all of the findings of the report into Suarez's actions so that people like those associated with Liverpool Football club should not have been able to get away with their behaviour. The T-Shirts they wore in support of Suarez after the guilty verdict should have shown the English FA that their Kick It Out campaign against racism means nothing to them.

Suarez will forever be a hero to the fans of Liverpool no matter what the future brings and evra (I wish there were  smaller letters to write his name) will be a sidenote in the history of ManU.

1. CyclingFitness profile image92

And thats why Liverpool fans have always been so arogant and up there own backsides mio cid.

How many titles has Suarez helped Liverpool win? And how many has Evra Won with United?

Oh dear I just realised how long since Liverpool won a title!

what are you talking about he has only been there for one season? do you know anything about soccer or you just read headlines?

My football is very good mio cid. I don't read the British newspapers as they over exaggerate everything that happens regarding sports.

As a Nottingham Forest supporter I have seen many ups and downs in English Football and have played against a number of current Premiership stars in my youth as well.

Maybe as a club we were spoilt by having someone like Brian Clough as a manager as our players were taught to show respect and our talisman Stuart Pearce while being a fierce tackler always showed the pride, passion and sportsmanship that seems to be lacking in the game at present. I think Clough would have refused to play a player who dived and Staurt Pearce would have dealt with the player by showing them (fairly) how to dive head first into an advertising board.

Realistically what do you have against Evra mio cid?

I explained at length what I have against  evra, I think she should take up another sport, like golf,or ping pong.

No I asked you to be realistic and talk seriously and realistically

Not like a child that has to get it's own way

3. Skinhead 69 profile image76
    Skinhead 69posted 12 years ago

I have seen videos of the handshake incident from different angles and I'm not convinced that Suarez is totally to blame. My opinion for what it's worth is that Evra dropped his hand slightly as Suarez (reluctantly?) went to shake it. This was enough for Suarez to ignore it. I believe that neither of them really wanted to shake hands. To be honest I admire them both for taking this stance. To me a handshake is a mark of respect, and if they don't respect each other then it would be hypocritical of them to shake hands, and for the record I don't believe that either of them are racists. Football is a passionate game and feelings were obviously running high. Take away the passion and the controversy such as that surrounding this case, and there would be nothing for us to talk or argue about, and football would be about as exciting as synchronised swimming.

4. Samir Illathodi profile image58
    Samir Illathodiposted 12 years ago

Suarez apologised regarding this issue, and I think Suarez is right, coz he was in stunning form with LFC and got 8 matches ban which may dip his run and ruin his career......His absence also gave Liverpool plenty of head aches as Andy Carrol is struggling to find the net since his 35 m move from Newcastle, But Suarez also scored against ManU and shown what he can do for his club.....

5. Ross Connor profile image61
    Ross Connorposted 12 years ago

I am a United fan, but don't think me biased. Whether or not Suarez actually did racially abuse Evra or whether Evra is as innocent as I hope he is we will never know. But Suarez served a ban for it so it would suggest he did, but hes served his ban and as far as either of them are concerned it should be water under the bridge. Whether he wanted to or not Suarez should have shook Evra's hand. What he did was disrespectful but only made the matter ten time's worse and what should have been an end to the issue is now causing more controversies. As if what he did at the last world cup when he got sent off for that hand ball wasn't band enough, he's brought his bad habits into the English game.

I would respectfully disagree, but I can totally understand your position, what's really annoying is the people who have no knowledge of the sport and its culture and repeat headlines they read somewhere.

1. jerseys4kids.com profile image46
        jerseys4kids.composted 12 years agoin reply to this

I watched the match, and I thought both players did a fine job of embarrassing themselves as well as their clubs. Suarez should have been fined and should have received a match ban for his refusal to shake hands with Evra. If the FA doesn't put an end to this "hand shake fiasco", this is going to be an issue in future matches. Evra's behavior during and after the match, the constant taunting, was unacceptable ..

Well it won't be an issue in the Premier league anymore because Suarez' career will continue somewhere else,I hope wherever he goes he gets to play against ManU for any of the european tournaments so he can score a few goals on them and if possible eliminate them from championships.

1. Ross Connor profile image61
            Ross Connorposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There is no mistaking his talent as a good player and wherever he goes if he goes I hope he performs as well as we know he can, I just think this whole episode is effecting his game and if he can move on from it, it will be better for all parties involves and maybe he can start banging in the goals again. But I do hope he doesn't knock United out of any championships mind...

6. Xenonlit profile image61
    Xenonlitposted 12 years ago

Suarez is a racist jerk who thought that his temporary following would love his inappropriate action. There is no excuse for his behavior and he needs to be sanctioned every time he does it.

A black player would not get away with such boorishness, so Suarez needs to go.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)