jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (5 posts)

Rioting over a New Nike?

1. Stacie L profile image90
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

Nike Foamposite Galaxy shoe release causes rioting at a Florida mall
    By Dylan Stableford |

Crowd disperses at Florida mall. (TheBigLead.com)

Not again. In a situation reminiscent of the craziness that broke out in December when Nike released its retro version of a popular Air Jordan basketball shoe, police were called in late Thursday to break up a crowd that had gathered at the Florida Mall near Orlando in anticipation of the release of a new limited edition, glow-in-the-dark Nike shoe.

More than 100 officers in riot gear were needed to disperse several hundred people who law enforcement officials said became unruly as they waited for the $220 Nike Galaxy Air Foamposite Ones to go on sale. There were no arrests or injuries reported. The launch of the shoes were timed to coincide with this weekend's NBA All-Star Game festivities in Orlando. The game is on Sunday night.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/ni … 02536.html

I wrote a hub about Sneakerheads.This is crazy to fight over a shoe. roll

1. Paulw2751 profile image62
      Paulw2751posted 4 years ago in reply to this

May I safely assume that Florida is not as impoverished as the job and housing reports indicate?
      I saw similar theatrics in Chicago when the first Air Jordan shoes appeared and the poor slum areas were scheming with ways to steal the shoes off the foot of another for profit. Oh, BTW, they did it for jackets and jerseys too. Countless children were hurt. Ebay became the profiteer after the drug lords got theirs.
      Is this the new generation or just another DE-generation...ugh.

1. Stacie L profile image90
        Stacie Lposted 4 years ago in reply to this

no it looks like people have money for certain non priority items...such as expensive sneakers,games, 21 inch wheel.etc.They must be young..wink

2. adjkp25 profile image93
      adjkp25posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I never understood how people could resort to violence over a pair of shoes.  I remember, when I was younger, hearing about people who would get robbed of their Jordan's while walking down the street.

What a complete waste of energy.

1. Paulw2751 profile image62
        Paulw2751posted 4 years ago in reply to this

The waste of energy is the waste of the brain. They do it for the money. Little energy and no brain wasted, ugh! Then, as an editorial, I must say that we will support these goons with almost $90k/year for their imprisonment.
        Now I have to think that I am the brainless one....
        Crime may pay in the short run, but my most positive outlook is a virtue.