jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Do you wear a cycling helmet? Yes or No and Why?

1. CyclingFitness profile image91
    CyclingFitnessposted 4 years ago

Simple question

Do you always wear a helmet while cycling? If yes why? and if no why not?

There are so many stories and theories floating around- which you you feel is the best option?

1. Shinkicker profile image90
      Shinkickerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

No question. Always. I've worked with people with brain injury caused by accidents. Not worth the risk

2. Temirah profile image79
    Temirahposted 4 years ago

I do now.  Didn't use to but a keen cyclist friend said that a friend of his came off his bike - body intact but head smashed on the pavement. A cycle helmet would have saved his life.
    Like Shinkecker says - not worth the risk.

3. plussize-lingerie profile image61
    plussize-lingerieposted 4 years ago

Always, and all reputable cycling events in the UK require you wear on.

I think there's some misconception by some people that they offer protection in the case of getting hit by say a car, which of course they don't. As long as you understand the extent and purpose of the protection they offer (outlined by sadly by Temirah), then you'll never saddle up without one.

4. Veganrunner profile image60
    Veganrunnerposted 4 years ago

Always, no question about it. Helmets now a days are pretty light weight and comfortable anyway.. not worth it to not wear one.

5. Outbound Dan profile image98
    Outbound Danposted 4 years ago

Because my mother worked with brain injured children, I was the first and only kid in town wearing my bright yellow helmet.  Oh the embarrassment, I felt.  I'm glad that to see nearly every kid wear them nowadays (thanks to education and local laws)
    Of course, as an adult rider I wouldn't think of riding without a helmet. Just like I wouldn't think of paddling without a PFD.  It's all about managing the risk we find.

6. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

Yes, because brain damage is not fun.

7. HikeGuy profile image84
    HikeGuyposted 4 years ago

Yes, always. I didn't think of it at first when I started bicycling again as an adult, and then a friend told me to and mentioned the risk of head injury. That convinced me.