jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Worried about security during the Olympics?

1. CMHypno profile image89
    CMHypnoposted 4 years ago

Then don't be as the plans to deploy surface-to-air missiles have already been made.  Residents of flats in East London are none too pleased though to be informed that they are going to be set up on the roof of their block of flats by having a leaflet shoved through their door!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympi … dents.html

Not sure what they think they can shoot down safely in such a heavily populated, urban area?

1. psycheskinner profile image81
      psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Maybe shooting it down is just less unsafe, sometimes, than not shooting it down?

CMHypnoposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Over here terrorists tend to travel by public transport, sometimes with devastating consequences like in 2005, and unfortunately they are very hard to detect and stop because of this.

But whatever the thought behind it, if you are going to be stuck with that kind of military kit on your roof for two months, with all the security that presumably will go with it, then you would think that you would have gotten rather more warning than a leaflet?

The Olympics is supposed to be a wonderful thing, but all it seems to be turning out to be is a ticketing fiasco, problems with public transport (they would like us all to work at home for the duration if possible so as not to clog up the tube) and a life-sized Stonehenge bouncy castle. And the BBC is going to run Olympic programming for 18 hours a day.

I must be the Olympics Scrooge, because I can't get excited about it at all, and just want to jump the first plane to somewhere hot and sunny as soon as it starts.   sad

2. John Holden profile image59
    John Holdenposted 4 years ago

They're lucky they got a leaflet!

Here in Manchester a few years ago they locked down a whole district for an anti terrorist exercise and didn't bother to mention it at all to the residents.

CMHypnoposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Fair point.  I suppose we really shouldn't expect too much!  When are they going to get the leaflet that says they have to move out for two months I wonder?