jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Clemens "The Rocket" - Roger and Out!

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 4 years ago

Acquitted of perjury, obstruction of justice and lying to Congress!

http://www.chron.com/news/article/Baseb … 642785.php

Can he still be inducted, I mean Hall Of Fame for example?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-tea … bled=false

2. jeolmoz2 profile image64
    jeolmoz2posted 4 years ago

I feel Clemens will get in Hall 'cause Steroids scandals r not as big as years past. McGuire, Sosa, Palmeiro etc got images destroyed the ones nowadays they just seem weather storm. Think Clemens going Hall of Fame, but he can kiss 1st time entry ballot goodbye

3. Cagsil profile image84
    Cagsilposted 4 years ago

He'll still get in, but I agree with jeolmoz2, it won't be 1st ballot. It might even take several years before the voters allow him entry.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago

Well, he was acquitted of any wrongdoing. He definitely should be now.

1. Cagsil profile image84
      Cagsilposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, but just the association alone will not make him a 1st ballot. However, he will eventually get in.

5. Joseph Howard profile image90
    Joseph Howardposted 4 years ago

The HoF, especially for MLB, reminds me so much of the Academy Awards (stick with me).  First of all, the people responsible for these selections are all old white men who really are incapable of adjusting opinions.  For instance, although the 'Roids Boys (McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, Palmeiro, etc.) were amazing during their respective times, there is absolutely no way in Hades that any of them will get in.  Even Pete Rose, who obviously transgressed, won't get in because he "compromised the integrity of the game." 

Now take the Oscars.  Every year, the film that wins "Best Picture" sure as hell better appease this faceless men's club, or it won't even be looked at.  If any actor, director, or plot point upsets the general "rules" wet forth, that film won't even be considered.  With the HoF, the player sure as Hell needs to appease the old white guys responsible for liking them enough.  That is, of course, unless you're Ty Cobb, who was a terrible person and a racist, but did so when it was "OK" to do so (sarcasm, obviously).

With Roger Clemens, I have to say that the perceptions against him will prevent him from getting in for many years.  Take, for instance, Reggie Jackson.  He was an amazing player but an outspoken man, which made many of our old white guys in the Hall uneasy.  Therefore, it took three ballots to eventually get him in.  Clemens' name and alleged steroid use are compounded with his unusual temperament (look for "Clemens throws bat at Piazza" on Youtube).

1. jeolmoz2 profile image64
      jeolmoz2posted 4 years ago in reply to this

@Joseph Howard very well said...PS 1 of my fav quotes' frm outspoken Reggie Jackson " ... I didn't come to New York to be a star, I brought my star with me. ... " Classic!

6. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 4 years ago

50 and is playing again! smile