How to make a refrigerator in the woods
Not electric or the box kind
So it's Summer, and you need to keep your food cold and you don't have a freezer, an electric fridge or something like that. Well, you could always use what nature gives you, for example, the watermelon becomes fresh when put at direct sunlight due to an evaporation process, and you could use that process to your advantage.
For this "green" fridge, you will need:
- a fine metal net;
- long plastic sheets (a big plastic bag should be enough).
Now, for the steps:
- Build with the nets the exterior and interior wall of the fridge and fix them on the wooden structure (you must build this structure as in the picture);
- Fill the structure with the charcoal, until you have 3 walls of charcoal;
- Cover the top with the plastic sheets, and the open side and wet the plastic and the charcoal;
- And here it is, your own "green" fridge. You just need to be careful with some things:
- build it with the door facing north, that's the most fresh side letting the charcol get the sunrays;
- you can build a bottom shelve but you could also make a suspended one, that avoids the insects reaching your food;
- keep the plastic sheet wet so it can regularly wet the charcoal too.
More by this Author
So you are lost in the wilderness and need to find your way to civilisation, you have no compass and no map, but you know what direction to go? Then you can use one of the following methods to find your direction. ...
If you work in a office as a receptionist, secretary or a customer service call center, you will deal with a lots and lots of phone calls. You have to deal with those calls just like the callers were sitting just in...