How To Dunk Basketball Like A True Pro
How To Dunk Basketball Like A Pro
You hear the noisy crowd cheering wildly along the court. You recall how Michael Jordan made that awe-inspiring dunk on TV. You want to do something just like that. Then… you suddenly remembered. You don’t know how to dunk basketball.
Dunking a basketball is like making art. You calculate your steps and conceptualize the form you will execute before doing your movements. Then afterwards, you can expect a shout of wild approval from the crowd. That is –if you successfully slam dunked the ball in the ring. Sounds easy, right? Sure it is! But if you really don’t know how, below are tips on how to dunk basketball like a true pro.
Jump! Jump! Jump!
How To Dunk Basketball Tips: Jumping Exercises
1. The first thing you should have if you want to learn how to dunk basketball is a really big hand. With big hands, you can hold the ball easily with one hand. If destiny didn't provide you big hands, don't be discouraged. We can still do a two handed dunk using your two small hands.
2. Second thing that you must be able to do to learn how to dunk basketballs is through jumping. You need to reach the rim of the ring to make a slam dunk successfully. Need to improve on your vertical leap to learn how to dunk basketball? Follow the tips here.
3. A great exercise to become skilled on how to dunk basketballs is by practicing jumping on the court. Jump to reach the net, the rim and the backboard until you are comfortable doing so.
4. Now that you know how to jump high, conceptualize how you will do the slam dunk. The secret on how to dunk basketball successfully is with the use of a little imagination.
How To Dunk Basketball Tips : Ball Handling Exercises
5. Learn how to dunk basketball by dunking a tennis or golf ball first then a volleyball before using a real basketball to familiarize your hands with the roundness of the ball.
6. Don't forget to practice ball maneuvers. The more you are at ease while handling the ball, the more it's easy to dunk it.
7. When practicing how to dunk basketballs, use an adjustable height basketball ring. Practice dunking first at lower heights while adjusting to higher levels as you progress. Try dunking the ball using one hand if you have a big hand and two hands if needed.
Run With The Wind
How To Dunk Basketball : Running Exercises
8. Do not forget to wear comfortable shoes to learn how to dunk basketball. It is important that your feet are comfortable when playing and practicing for much easier movement and to prevent injuring yourself.
9. Practice dribbling the ball while running. Do this repetitively until you are contented that you can handle and control the ball with ease.
Here’s a step by step tips on how to dunk basketballs. It is advisable that you follow the steps first before making up your own slam dunk tricks.
That Priceless Dunk
How To Dunk Basketball Tips: More Specific Tips
A. After you have learned how to dunk basketballs, practice the skills you have acquired. Dribble the ball. Get the feel of the ball. Feel its roundness and how your hands absorb the force while you are dribbling it against the hard court.
B. Start to run towards the ring while dribbling. Go slow first then run and dribble faster. Now calculate the distance of your jump before jumping to reach the rim.
C. Then go crazy! Wait, just kidding. Extend your hand towards the rim. If you're using two hands, pull it behind your head for a fashionable dunk. You can even make faces while dunking if you want.
D. There are times when the ball can hit you back in the face after dunking. Be prepared. Also, get ready to land. It's pretty much acceptable to hang in the ring if there's a danger of hitting a person when you land.
E. After landing, make a celebratory dance or high-five all of your teammates while saying trash talk and jibberish to your opponents... or not.
Now that you know how to dunk basketball like a true pro, expect other players to fear you in the court. It's really easy how to dunk basketball once you analyze how you will do it. Just follow the tips above, then, the style when slam dunking the ball is up to you. More tricks mean more oohs and ahhs from the crowd. Of course, you can only do that once you know your capabilities and really know how to dunk basketball.
More by this Author
"Let's say you're driving along a hillside road with your wife and kids when suddenly, an irresponsible driver behind you turns sharply to overtake your car. You can see the driver's drunk, sleepy and...
• The song Strawberry Fields Forever are in reality 2 adaptations of the same song fused together by George Martin. One comprised a half-tone higher and somewhat faster. When it was slowed down it somehow fit...