nflnotebook

Steelers should go after Asomugha

If the Steelers want to fix their inept pass coverage, they should go after Oakland Raider free-agent Nnamdi Asomugha, the best cover cornerback in the NFL.
If the Steelers want to fix their inept pass coverage, they should go after Oakland Raider free-agent Nnamdi Asomugha, the best cover cornerback in the NFL.

Steelers need Nnamdi Asomugha now

FEBRUARY 12, 2011


By JOE D'AMODIO

THE WEB SCRIBE

I'm surprised the Pittsburgh Steelers still don't get it.

They have one of the league's top defenses, mainly because their linemen and linebackers are second to none. Those guys can do it all -- stuff the run, put pressure on the quarterback and sack him when needed.

One thing the Steeler defense lacks is a top-rated cover corner. The feeling around the NFL is that if you try to spread their defense out with four- and five-receiver sets, you will be able to beat them.

That's exactly what the New England Patriots did to the Steel Curtain during the regular season in a big thrashing. The Green Bay Packers followed the same script in the Super Bowl leading to a 31-25 victory, a final score could have been much worse had Packer receivers not dropped two touchdown passes.

Yes, the Steelers have all-world safety Troy Polamalu,who seems to be all over the field on every play.

But that's because he has to be to make up for the ineptness of the Steeler secondary.

That's where Nnamdi Asomugha comes in. The game's best cover corner (that's right he's better than the Jets' Darrelle Revis because he only allowed 13 pass completions on the season and allowed no touchdown passes, while Revis surrendered 30-plus passes and 4 TDs).

By signing Asomugha, the Steelers would benefit greatly. Asomugha is able to shut down 25 percent of the field with his coverages and sometimes more than that, meaning Polamalu will be able to roam the other 75 percent of the secondary and be that much better than he already is.

Teams will still try to spread the Steeler defense out, but it would be a much more difficult task with Asomugha on one side of the field and knowing that Polamalu lurks elsewhere.

I don't like playing general manager for NFL teams, but if the Pittsburgh GM doesn't think his team needs Asomugha, he should be fired at once.



More by this Author


Comments

No comments yet.

    Sign in or sign up and post using a HubPages Network account.

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No HTML is allowed in comments, but URLs will be hyperlinked. Comments are not for promoting your articles or other sites.


    Click to Rate This Article
    working