The Rock Vs. John Cena to headline WrestleMania 28 in 2012: Will this be the greatest WrestleMania match in WWE history?
Two of the greatest superstars of all time in arguably the biggest WrestleMania match since The Rock vs. Hulk Hogan a decade ago
Who do you think will win at WrestleMania 28: The Rock or John Cena?See results without voting
The Rock is in the greatest shape of his life
John Cena has been training hard for his battle against The Rock
Two generations will clash on "The grandest Stage of them all"
The Rock Vs. John Cena is only several months away
There is now under three months to wait for arguably one of the most highly anticipated WrestleMania matches of all time. At WrestleMania 28, The Rock and John Cena will clash in a main event that is destined to shake the very foundations of the WWE Universe and the entire world of professional wrestling. The match which was announced an entire year ago on the edition of WWE Raw after WrestleMania 27 in 2011 has been hyped ever since. This has resulted in several clashed between The Rock and John Cena and the duo even teamed together at WWE Survivor Series in November of 2011.
Now, the anticipation is higher than ever. WWE Royal Rumble is right around the corner and we are currently nearing the end of January meaning the WrestleMania countdown will soon begin. The show is going to be absolutely huge. Following the returns of countless ring veterans and icons quite recently including Triple H, Kevin Nash, Chris Jericho and Masked Kane, there are countless reasons to be excited for WrestleMania 28. Still, the main reason to be excited is the very title of this Hub: The show will be headlined by two of the biggest names in professional wrestling; The Rock and John Cena.
Why is The Rock and John Cena such an important match?
The Rock Vs. John Cena is destined to be one of the greatest WrestleMania matches in the entire past and future of the WWE. It is not just a match, but it is a clashing of generations. Professional wrestling fans need to take a trip down memory lane to the not so distant past. Ten years ago, The Rock and Hulk Hogan wrestled in one of the greatest WrestleMania matches of all time and indeed, one of the greatest matches in the entire career of both men. The match simply stole the show. Nobody knew who to cheer or who to boo simply because both men helped to revolutionize the era of wrestling that they perfected, and they also helped to lay the foundations for the future.
The exact same thing can be said for both The Rock and John Cena when they collide at WrestleMania 28. Both men changed the foundations of wrestling. First, you had Hulk Hogan. Hogan handed the torch to The Rock at WrestleMania 18. It is like history repeating itself. The Rock however still has youth on his side, but so does Cena. Just like ten years ago, The Rock will have to fight if he wants to keep the torch in his hand, or John Cena will take it from him.
That is why The Rock Vs. John Cena is such an important match; it is a battle not only for the torch of professional wrestling, nor is it just a battle of past versus present or even a battle for the future; but it is a battle to determine the greatest professional wrestler of all time and both The Rock and John Cena are, always have been and always will be, prime candidates for such an illustrious title that is far greater than any championship in the iconic sport of professional wrestling.
Who will win the battle of the decade: The Rock or John Cena?
There really is no way to know exactly who will win between The Rock and John Cena at WrestleMania 28 simply because professional wrestling is a game of “never say never”. A year ago, nobody even thought that The Rock would ever return to the WWE, let alone return for one more match at WrestleMania against the biggest superstar in the world, John Cena. This fact is a prime example of the “never say never” world of the WWE Universe and this is living proof of why there is simply no way to determine who will win.
If you look outside of this fact for a moment however, let us see why the battle of the ages could go either way:
Why The Rock could win at WrestleMania 28:
- The Rock has endless amounts of experience. Just like Cena, he was one of the fastest rising superstars of all time, but The Rock did it several years before Cena and therefore, the life and ring experience could give him the upper hand.
- The Rock has already had the “battle of ages” experience. During his battle with Hulk Hogan ten years ago, Hogan took it to The Rock and refused to be beat and it eventually took three rock bottoms to lay “The Immortal One” to rest. Rock knows exactly what it takes to defeat a legend on “The Grandest Stage of Them All”, John Cena doesn’t – yet.
- The Rock is a third generation superstar. His father and his grandfather are both icons of the squared circle. He lives and breathes wrestling and has seen every trick in the book to achieve victory.
Why John Cena could win at WrestleMania 28:
- John Cena has never sold out. After The Rock defeated Hulk Hogan, he vanished from the ring, taking the torch with him and he became a movie star. John Cena has never done anything of the sort. While The Rock is technically more experienced in terms of years in the ring, they actually weigh up quite evenly considering John Cena has never had a break, except to heal injury.
- John Cena has a fiery passion like no other superstar in the history of professional wrestling. He wants the torch that Hogan left to The Rock, and he will stop at nothing until he gets it. He has the total package on the microphone, in the ring and perhaps more important of all, in his heart – something that The Rock may or may not have anymore.
- John Cena has been active in the current generation of the WWE. He has the experience of working with the younger talents and has therefore had to adapt his own style in order to survive. The Rock’s lengthy absence from the WWE means that he is still technically in the post-attitude WWE style. This could work in Cena’s favor and give him the edge he needs over “The Great One.”
Will The Rock and John Cena go down as the greatest WWE WrestleMania match of all time?
There are countless candidates for the greatest WrestleMania match of all time. Some of these include The Rock vs. Steve Austin at WrestleMania 17, Brock Lesnar vs. Kurt Angle at WrestleMania 19, The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania 25, The Undertaker vs. Triple H at WrestleMania 27 and of course, The Rock vs. Hulk Hogan at WrestleMania 18. But, could The Rock vs. John Cena be greater than all of the WrestleMania matches it precedes? As far as the statistics, the hype, the build-up and the sheer brilliance of the two superstars involved – it really could.
Both The Rock and John Cena are two timeless athletes and they are both in truly phenomenal shape. This match has had a year-long build up and is still being built up as we speak. Both men have had a year to train and countless videos of both men training for the match over the past year have been released showcasing their flawless physical prowess. Nothing even has to be said for their mental prowess; both men are like two behemoths, two ravenous animals waiting to be un-caged and go at each other’s throats. If there is any candidate for the greatest WrestleMania match of the last ten years or indeed, in the entire near-three decade history of WrestleMania, The Rock vs. John Cena certainly has potential to be quite possibly the greatest match of all time.
With just under three months to wait, who will win when the flag bearers of two generations of professional wrestling clash at WrestleMania 28; will The Rock add another notch to his legacy or will John Cena claim the torch and lead the WWE into the future?
What is the greatest WWE WrestleMania match of all time?
Will this match be better than The Rock vs. Hulk Hogan?See results without voting
The Rock and John Cena took to the microphone one year ago to make their WrestleMania 28 epic official
Ten years ago at WrestleMania 18, The Rock battled Hulk Hogan in one of the greatest WrestleMania matches of all time. Will his match with John Cena at WrestleM
More by this Author
Tag-team wrestling is one of the oldest and most historic forms of professional wrestling in the world. The concept has spanned from promotion to promotion over the course of countless generations. Promotions such as...
Huge returns and matches for WrestleMania 30 in 2014? The Rock, Brock Lesnar, The Undertaker, CM Punk, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Goldberg, Batista and more!
Yuffie is a secret character in Final Fantasy VII. There was a time when getting her was pure luck but now, it is possible to get her quite easily. Yuffie appears randomly when the player is venturing through forests...