Twila Reid Park in Anaheim, California: Amenities, Driving Directions, and Review
The first in a series to bring you the latest reviews and information pertaining to some of the most beautiful and recreation friendly City Parks in Orange County California.
In this edition of our travel quest which is designed to explore the entire dynamic spectrum of local and regional parks that we've already experienced, or new and exciting venues which we've never seen or possibly even heard of, we visit "Twila Reid Park" of Anaheim Ca. located in North Orange County just west of Beach Blvd on Orange Avenue. This roomy, expansive, and diverse park consists of approximately 27 acres of built in amenities, recreational activities, and cement walking paths. Although there is no barrier of separation, it's divided into two distinct areas. One half is a grassy area devoid of trees which is perfectly suited for almost any sports activity such as Baseball, Soccer, or Football that require a wide open space free from interference, and the other half is where most of the built in amenities and activities are located such as the Children's Playground, Horseshoe Pits, Barbecue Grills & Tables, etc. This area is greenery rich, complete with well manicured grass and towering trees that resemble a miniature forest like atmosphere complete with a family of active squirrels. Tall pines and other larger species are densely situated here.
Twila Reid is a relatively large park nestled between a residential community with easy access from the main street leading into a moderately sized parking lot that rarely gets filled to capacity unless a popular event is scheduled. After walking the grounds, the first thing I noticed was how self contained and well designed the park is. There's a generous selection of recreational amenities and even a new Fire Station right on the premises near the entrance, probably not intentionally built for park purposes, but it's certainly a convenient safety asset.
- The following is a brief review and partial list of the recreational activities and built in amenities that can be found right here at Twila Reid Park.
Twila Reid is one of the only parks I know of that has a Fire Station right on site. The awareness of the fact that there is a complete staff of medical professionals and paramedics on call within a few minutes of any location on the grounds, is indeed very comforting. If a child or loved one gets hurt or has an accident and needs immediate medical attention or transportation to a nearby hospital, the response time should be negligible if a team is available. Additionally, if and elderly person falls or has a more serious incident, it just takes a quick call with your cell phone and help from the department is on the way. Partitions separate the station from the park grounds but access is relatively unimpeded in case of emergency.
<> -- Softball Diamond -- <>
- A regulation sized Softball/Baseball field complete with bleachers is located at the southern end of the Park. There are no enclosed professional style dugouts but there is a large backstop to keep foul balls from projecting off the field and into the stands. The diamond is wide open with a sandy infield, and there is ample shade around the perimeters to act as a natural shield for all players and attendees sitting in the stands. The shade is provided courtesy of several extremely large, well developed protective trees that encompass the immediate area.
<> -- Soccer/Football Field -- <>
- The open space area is designed for major sports activities like Soccer or Football. When I visited there was a soccer game in progress and while it seemed a little tight for all out full field competition, the players didn't seem to mind and made the most of it. I would assume it's the same situation for a football game. While the field is not official regulation size, there is more than enough space to accommodate a rigorous competition for young adults or children.
- Another group of convenient amenities this park has to offer are the light towers made especially for sporting events. Four very tall professional light trees are triggered automatically at dusk to shower the field with light -
<> -- Disc Golf -- <>
- If you're interested in a little more than a good walk to stay fit, try a round or two of Disc Golf. 9 holes are strategically placed throughout the entire park and just like a professional golf course there are many obstacles that need to be negotiated and overcome which will surely challenge your skills to the maximum. There are varying distances between holes, some of which are over a hundred yards in length. Directing and sailing your disc around or in between the trees takes a certain degree of skill and even the experienced player might find this course at the high end on a scale of difficulty.
<> -- Horseshoe Pits -- <>
- The Park has several horseshoe pits designed for anyone who wishes to try their luck and I'm sure they garner much attention from the senior crowd. Located at the northwest corner, they are fully functional with a chain link fence around the perimeter to "backstop" any runaway shoes. There is no lighting in this area but it's open all the time. You can just walk in and play until the game is over or the sun goes down, which ever comes first.
<> -- Children's Playground -- <>
- Very nice and extremely well kept, this is one of the most impressive areas of Twila Reid Park. The City of Anaheim must really understand the importance of maintaining and cleaning the children's section which of course encourages parents to keep coming back. Most of the fun area is located in the shade surrounded by meticulously manicured towering palm trees for maximum sun protection.
- The ground is covered with the typical soft bark material that forms a blanket over the raw earth to cushion a fall in case someone trips or gets pushed from behind. There are several different built in playground toys to keep every child amused and occupied for hours including Jungle Gyms, Slides, and many others.
<> -- Built In Barbecue Area -- <>
- At Twila Reid Park you'll find a nice barbecue area complete with picnic tables and built in grills. It's not huge or expansive, but certainly adequate to accommodate approximately 100+ people. The dedicated space is situated adjacent to a cool shady area surrounded by the larger pine trees, a few of which overhang the entire barbecue venue and provide a reasonable amount of shade. No need to bring the grill unless they are all taken, just bring the food, plates, utensils and charcoal, I think you'll find this a convenient option.
<> -- Walking Paths -- <>
- There are a myriad of cement sidewalks that run around the outskirts and also directly through the park which are used by joggers, sports teams, and cardio enthusiasts to compete and stay in shape. The paths are laid out in alternating patterns that criss-cross the entire grounds or hug the outer perimeters if you wish to avoid mishap by creating a cushion of space between you and any games in progress or other activities. The distance from one end of the park to the other is roughly 1/4 to 1/2 half mile, so choosing the outer route should satisfy even the most rigorous cardio workout. When I visited, it was quite busy and a little crowded, but taking a brisk walk or jog on any of the intertwined pathways while exercising a slight degree of vigilance and care, was done with relative ease and without incident.
- REVIEW -
Overall, the park is nice and the ethnic diversity adds to the appealing international charm. There are open spaces for sun worshipers and a large, lush green area for those who prefer shade. The park has many built in features for recreation and plenty of extra acreage to facilitate custom activities brought from home. You can walk, jog, or run for cardio exercise mainly on the endless cement pathways which are not the most comfortable or medically recommended surfaces, but serve the intended purpose. Keep in mind, it is a pet friendly park, so always try to keep one eye focused in a downward direction to avoid minor mishap.
The grounds are well kept, but with slightly more effort, can be maintained a little better to retain loyal repeat park users and impress those who are first time visitors. There is certainly room for improvement in this general area of aesthetic appeal. The grass however, is manicured and edged to near perfection but the park itself is a little messy in certain areas. Access is good including a moderate sized parking lot located right off the main artery, if it fills to capacity or a build up in congestion ensues, there is additional room for vehicles on both the east and west side of the park via secondary streets. A residential area with beautifully kept homes surround the park in its entirety, but are far enough away so you need not worry about a stray football or softball encroaching upon private property. Exercise caution however, there are certain spots where backyards meet right up against the park grounds.
- CATEGORY -
- LOW GRADE -
- HIGH GRADE -
Cleanliness / Maintenance
Built In Amenities
Parking / Access
3100 W. Orange Ave.
Anaheim, CA, 92804
* Cross Streets - Beach Blvd. & Orange Avenue *
- Written - Designed - Created By Alternative Prime -
Read & Explore More:
- Cerritos Sports Complex in Cerritos CA, Review, Amen...
Surrounded by multi million dollar homes in the bustling heart of Cerritos California is where you'll find one of the largest self contained recreational parks in Southern California. The size of this sports enthusiasts wonderland is impressive,...
- OC's Best - The Fisherman's Restaurant and Bar, San Cl...
As you drive down Pacific Coast Highway and begin to absorb the spectacular ocean view...
No comments yet.
Twila Reid Park Driving Directions
More by this Author
It has been a mere seven weeks since the perfectly conditioned and finely tuned soccer team from Spain was crowned FIFA World Cup Champions and believe it or not I already yearn for the opening ceremonies to begin...
Surrounded by high end, multi million dollar homes in the bustling heart of Cerritos California is where you'll find one of the largest, self contained recreational parks in Southern California. The shear size of this...
After many years of experimental trial and error in my recording studio Mixing & Mastering audio works, I've developed a wealth of knowledge and several invaluable techniques which if properly applied, can help to...