The Pros and Cons of a Nose Job
Are you thinking about getting a nose job, but aren't quite sure if it's what you really want to do? You're in the right place! Before getting any type of plastic surgery, it's important to weigh the pros and cons.
Before committing to plastic surgery, think about the reasons you're making this decision. Write down your own list of expectations in two columns. In one column, list ways your life will improve by getting plastic surgery and any other advantages that come to mind. In the other column, write down any worries you have about plastic surgery and any drawbacks you can think of.
If you decide to opt for the surgery, take your list with you when you meet your surgeon. You can use the list as a guide in asking questions. This will not only allow you to make an informed decision but help you to be confident in what you choose to do.
Should I get a nose job?
Rhinoplasty can substantially change your overall look. However, it's important to fully understand your expectations in the outcome of a nose job. If you have unrealistic expectations or worry about potentially regretting having your nose reshaped, you may find yourself unhappy with the outcome of the surgery and thus would not be a good candidate for this type of surgery.
It's important to list reasons you would like a nose job and to know what pros and cons apply to you so you can best weigh the benefits and risks. Below, we've broken down the pros and cons of rhinoplasty to help you on your path to deciding what's right for you.
Reasons to Get a Nose Job
There are many compelling reasons to get a nose job:
- Increased confidence - If you feel that your nose is unattractive, fixing that problem can definitely increase your confidence. It's only natural to want to feel good about yourself!
- Fewer sinus infections - If you're prone to sinus infections, the shape of your nose may be the cause. Talk to your doctor to see if having surgery can correct this.
- Beauty standards - If you're not a fan of your nose because it's not like everyone else's, nose reshaping can help you fit in. It's always awesome to refuse conformity to social standards, but if your nose is a source of frustration for you, then plastic surgery is definitely an option.
- It can improve your breathing - Getting your nose done can improve breathing, especially if you've got a deviated septum. Nasal surgery can even help correct breathing related sleep issues such as sleep apnea! If you're looking to get a nose job simply to improve a deviated septum, this can be achieved without drastically changing your overall look.
Drawbacks to Getting a Nose Job
As you may have guessed, plastic surgery has a number of drawbacks:
- Special post-op care - After surgery, you'll have to take special precautions and extra care of your nose. The surgical site could become infected, which is a major complication for any type of plastic surgery.
- Pain, numbness - Your nose could potentially become numb or painful after surgery. This often goes away as time goes on, but sometimes it doesn't.
- Recurring confidence issues - If you choose to get a nose job on the basis of how you look, you might find something else wrong with your body. Issues with self-esteem should be worked out with a therapist, not a plastic surgeon.
- Regrets - Down the road, you might wish that you'd never had the surgery. You might even miss your old nose!
- Expectations - With plastic surgery, results can't be guaranteed. You might not come out with the nose you and your surgeon had planned.
- Cost - Rhinoplasty can be very expensive and insurance companies don't usually cover cosmetic surgery. Your nose job could cost you anywhere from $3000 to $8000. If you need your new nose fixed later, you could pay up to $15,000 to have your surgery revised!
- Difficulty choosing a surgeon - Choosing the right surgeon is extremely important. You will want a doctor that can provide the results you want at a price you can afford. This can make the process of selecting a surgeon stressful.
Plastic surgery has to be something that you decide. Don't make your decision based on how anyone else feels about you. Choose what will make you feel good about yourself.
© 2012 Melanie
More by this Author
Easy-to-use home remedies for dealing with just about any clog. The do-it-yourself guide to fixing a clogged drain with household products.
Aran sweaters bring thoughts of the rocky, cold Aran islands where they were first knitted. The sweaters were spun by the wives of the local fishermen to keep them warm in Atlantic gales.
The Michigan Accent & Slang Words. Groups of people from every US state and, really, every place in the world have a unique accent and Michigan is no different! Learn Michigan-isms here!