750 Gold Guide - 18K Gold
What’s not to love about gold? The luster, the value, the sheer beauty all around… it’s such a beautiful thing that is found right inside our Earth! We frequently make and buy gold items, especially when it comes to jewelry. Sometimes you might come across an unfamiliar stamp on the piece of gold you are looking at, and anything that is stamped on gold is important to know about before you make a purchase! The best consumer is an informed consumer.
The number 750 is one of the many stamps you might come across. What does it mean? In what cases will you find this stamp? What else might you find stamped with it? Let’s get into it, shall we?
750 Gold Percentage
Whenever you find a number stamped on a piece of gold jewelry, it’s almost always safe to assume it is a number standing for the purity. In the case of a three digit number, it’s a Millesimal Fineness stamp and it stands for the purity of gold in parts per thousand, which means that a 750 piece of jewelry is 750 parts per thousand, or in parts per hundred, 75.0 which is 75% gold. In other words, it’s the same as saying the jewelry is 18K gold, if this is what you are more familiar with. Converting between Karats and Millesimal Fineness isn’t too difficult as long as you know how both measurements work.
Karats are measured in parts, with the highest purity being 24 parts, or 24K.
Any Karat will be divided into the 24K to find the purity.
18K/24K=.75, 750 gold, or 75% gold.
Once you’ve learned how to look at different measurements of purity as percentages, the conversions between the two become very simplified and eventually memorized!
If 75% of 750 gold is gold, then what makes up the other 25%? Many of us know that gold in its purest form, 24K or 999, is far too soft to make jewelry with, so it becomes necessary to create an alloy. Alloys are made for a number of reason, and with higher finenesses, it’s more so to simply strengthen the gold enough to make jewelry. In lower fineness jewelry, it’s more to lower the cost of the ring for those who cannot really afford the finer gold but still like gold.
Alloy metals may include platinum, silver, palladium, zinc, copper, and so on. The types of metals used in the alloy can be used to alter the color of the gold, such as copper being used to make rose gold. If you are concerned about the alloys, always ask what is in the jewelry before purchasing.
Uses for 750 Gold
Gold has a variety of uses, and some of those uses depend on the karat weight. One of the most common uses for gold is jewelry, especially 750, or 18K.
Although 18K gold strong enough to be a used for rings or bracelets, many people typically choose to have earrings or other body jewelry made of 18K so it’s more protected for everyday wear.
So you now know about the 750 stamp, but what about all of those other symbols you’ve come across? These stamps on a piece of gold jewelry are called hallmarks and are great toosl used to identify different aspects of the ring, such as when it was made, who made it, gold purity, and so on. Let’s start with that shape with the number stamped inside.
Typically, for different precious metals, there’s a shape assigned with a purity stamp in the middle. For gold, you will find a stretched octagon shape with the purity stamp in the middle. In the case of an octagon with 750 in the middle, the stamp is telling you that you have a gold piece with a purity of 750. Seems simple, right? Well what about the other symbols next to it?
Along with the purity stamp, you might find a makers mark, which is generally the first stamp on the piece. The makers mark is nothing more than the company or person who made the jewelry, so this one might just tell you if it’s designer or not. When a person or business makes a piece of jewelry, they then must send it off to an Assay Office who will test the gold for purity and place a stamp for their office showing they tested the gold and it is indeed the purity that it says it is.
Now you know why 750 gold tends to be much more expensive, and what all of those stamps refer to. Now you’re ready to shop, but be sure to check out the articles on the other levels of gold purity!
How to Test Your Gold Jewelry
More by this Author
Everything you ever wanted to know about 916, or 22K, marked, gold. What it means, what symbols you might find associated with it, and anything else that may be relevant.
Considering investing in gold? Make sure you know what all the .999 gold, also known as 24K gold, is and what you should know about it before you spend a pretty penny on it!
You may have previously thought that gold is gold, but the fact of the matter is not all gold is created equal! Learn about gold purity and what makes 9K, 10K, 14K, 18K, 22K, 24K gold different.
No comments yet.