A Glimpse at Miss Universe 2010
Since 1951, Miss Universe pageant is considered to be the most beautiful day to celebrate. It is because all beautiful women from different countries gathered to vie for the prestigious title. .The whole month of August is concentrated with these official 83 delegates as they created awes, stirs, admiration and glamour at the fabulous 'city of light', Las Vegas. These beautiful girls busied themselves into the array of activities, like auctioning souvenir items for the benefit of cancer patients in the state of Nevada, attending functions sponsored by the Miss Universe Foundation.
"What is beauty, if the brain is empty?" This is the usual motto of every girl in the pageant. Online voting and media interviews revealed that this set of candidates really knew how to answer interviews, so, they gave judges a hard time choosing the early favorites, that included:
Miss Philippines, Miss Ireland, Miss Brazil, Miss Colombia, Miss Mexico, Miss Venezuela, Miss Russia, Miss Dominican Republic, Miss Costa Rica, Miss USA, Miss Haiti, Miss Puerto Rico and Miss Slovac Republic.
I've noticed the Latina domination is visible, but we never know the personal bets of telecast judges that involved almost all the members of American entertainment industry, with the prominent names of Jane Seymour, William Baldwin and my favorite Criss Angel (the illusionist and magician).
Personal argument: I'm just wondering why they didn't invited big names in fashion world or those beauty gurus from all over the world.
Miss Universe 2010 Preliminary Swimsuit Competition (Group 6 & 7) c/o francoismedina2008
Miss Universe 2010 -All 83 candidates Close-up Photo Shoot c/o masanook
Different colors, nationalities and beauties with a common goal…83 gorgeous ladies vying for this year’s crown for Miss Universe 2010. I didn’t miss a single second on it. It’s almost 10 am here in the Philippines, around 8 pm in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA when NBC allowed ABS-CBN here in the country to show the live telecast of the pageant, much to the delight of the televiewers. The date, August 23rd and the venue, Mandalay Events Center at the Mandalay Resort and Casino.
The presentation opened with the presentation of the 83 official candidates in their national costumes. The whole month of August saw these beautiful busybodies performing tasks starting from the online voting, television interviews and promotion of the contest, souvenir auction, body painting and the most exciting selling of lemonade to collate funds for the Foundation of Cancer Patients in Las Vegas.
I was really excited upon hearing the name of my country mentioned last for the Top 15 semi-finalists of this year’s Miss Universe. Presenters Bret Michaels (rock singer) and Natalie Morales announced the lucky ladies, starting with P and ended with P again. So, hubbers, let’s reminisce the 15 choices.
- Miss Puerto Rico - Mariana Paola Vicente, 21, 5’8
- Miss Ukraine - Anna Poslavska, 23, 5’11”
- Miss Mexico - Jimena Navarette, 22, 5’8”
- Miss Belgium - Cilou Annys, 19, 5’10”
- Miss Ireland - Rozanna Purcell, 19, 5’9”
- Miss South Africa - Nicole Flint, 22, 5’8”
- Miss France - Melika Menard, 23, 5’9”
- Miss Australia - Jesinta Campbell, 19, 5’10”
- Miss Jamaica - Yendi Phillips, 24, 5’10”
- Miss Russia - Irina Antonenko, 18, 5’10’
- Miss Albania - Angela Martini, 24, 5’9”
- Miss Colombia - Natalia Navarro, 23, 5’10”
- Miss Guatemala - Jessica Scheel, 20, 5’7”
- Miss Czech Republic - Jitka Valcova, 18, 5’6”
- Miss Philippines - Venus Raj, 22, 5’9”
The next was the introduction to the telecast judges:
- Niki Taylor - an international model
- William Baldwin - actor, producer and writer
- Chynna Phillips - singer, songwriter
- Evan Lysacek - Olympic gold medal skater
- Tamron Hall - MNSBC anchor
- Chazz Palminteri - actor, writer
- Jane Seymour - award-winning actress
- Criss Angel - illusionist, magician
- Shiela E. - musician
Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas - As one of best travel destinations in the USA, MGM Builders added new posh buildings to accommodate tourists who frequent the prime destination in the country.
The 15 semi-finalists paraded in swimsuit attire with the background music and performance of Viva Elvis crew.
It was trimmed down to 10 and here are the results for the evening gown competition.
- Miss Ireland - 8.54
- Miss Albania - 8.69
- Miss Philippines - 8.71
- Miss Jamaica - 8.88
- Miss Mexico - 8.91
- Miss Ukraine - 8.74
- Miss Puerto Rico - 7.97
- Miss South Africa - 8.42
- Miss Guatemala - 8.28
- Miss Australia - 8.84
The Grammy award-winning singer, John Legend and The Roots provided the musical background during the evening gown competition.
With the intermission of infomercial about Las Vegas attractions and amenities, plus the sponsors for the pageant, the next was the announcement of Final 5. For the question-and-answer portion, each candidate chose the judges who shot the questions for them to answer.
- Miss Mexico - Judge No. 4 Ivan Lysacek, the Olympian figure skating gold medalist asked about the “necessity of having internet”. Miss Mexico answered with the help of the interpreter that internet is a necessity among the youth and family values should be inculcated to their young minds and know the proper use of this technology.
- Miss Australia - had chosen Judge No.1 Niki Taylor who asked the “banning of religious clothing in some countries”. She answered that we have all the freedom of choice, what to wear, even joining beauty contest, like Miss Universe.
- Miss Jamaica - got the heaviest question from Judge No. 5 Tamron Hall, about the “death penalty”. She answered that life is gift from God and only the Creator can take that away from us. (Nice answer and I’m making sure that she and Miss Mexico will vie for the crown).
- Miss Ukraine - got Judge No. 7 Jane Seymour asking about “full body scan” in the airports. She answered, with interpreter, that it is a necessity for the country’s security from international threats.
- Miss Philippines - had chosen Judge No. 2 William Baldwin asking her “biggest mistake in her life:. She answered that she didn’t committed any big mistake in her life and segued to thank her supportive family and countrymen that helped realize her dream to join the prestigious contest.
were given to:
Miss Australia - Miss Congeniality
Miss Thailand - Miss Photogenic and Favorite National Costume
As the presenters, thanked the sponsors of the contest, especially multi-billionaire Donald Trump, the final verdict revealed the crowning of the new Miss Universe.
The outgoing 2009 Miss Universe Estefania Fernandez from Venezuela made her farewell walk and briefly recounted what happened during her one-year reign.
And now the results…(drum roll…as Bret Michaels and Natalie Morales announced)
Fourth Runner-up - Miss Philippines
Third Runner-up - Miss Ukraine
Second Runner-up - Miss Australia
First Runner-up - Miss Jamaica
The newly crowned Miss Universe 2010...(hold your breath):
Applause, applause…and the reign of the new title holder begins.
Miss Universe 2010 Winner crowning c/o Wolftribe100
More by this Author
Miss Universe 2011 is still the most-talked beauty tilt to date. Controversies blotted the pageant due to the presence of those interpreters. Such a waste to be watching four of the Final 5 relying on the explanation...
Filipino-American wrestler-bodybuilder-actor Dave Michael Bautista, Jr or BATISTA-The Animal, sporting a Philippine emblem tattoo Photo by: Ernie Pena Even before Spanish regime, TATTOO has been part of the tribal life...
Water Bonsai is the latest fad in home gardening. The beautiful twist is that you can grow the saplings of your choice inside your home due to a technology initiated by a Filipino inventor, Edwin dela Torre.