Ann Taylor Clothes -Try a New Look
Fashion Model for Ann Taylor
Ann Taylor Clothes Transition
Ann Taylor clothing is found in Ann Taylor, Ann Taylor Loft, Lord & Taylors, Talbots and on Amazon to names just a few locations. The company has gone through major changes over the past year. Their selection meets the needs of the petite, medium, large and plus size clothes for women. In addition, they carry maternity and bridal clothing.
The transition in Ann Taylor clothing started with fall fashions in 2009 and continued through spring. Last may they had a cream floral lace sheath dress worn by model Milla Joyvoyich in store window displays which sold out in a matter of days, and then was popping up on Ebay for three times the price. Ann Taylor had not enjoyed this much activity in the recent years and had more recently been considered dowdy. Things have certainly changed now.
History of Ann Taylor
Ann Taylor went into business in 1954, and initially started with very trendy clothes. The woman who is now in charge is Lisa Axelson, and she decided to take on this new position after finding a scrapbook of the 1960’s and 1970’s with readings such as, “Ann Taylor announces "Shoes that do nice things for more than your feet”, and “Your love for your mother has nothing to do with the way you dress.” Lisa has plenty of experience in the clothing field and reading these old scrap books inspired her to see a new look for Ann Taylor.
This fall Ann Taylor still aims to fill the niche for professional dressing but in a more modern way. This fall has an undated version of the perfect black pants, perfect pencil skirt, pumps and so forth. Since costume jewelry is so popular, accessories are a new priority for Ann Taylor. This all has some familiarity to it as many designers are following the J. Crew’s design theme which is clothing that you can dress up or down.
Ann Taylor was put on the defensive this past spring as their models were Photoshopped to give them a more slender appearance. They are now using new, well know models and stars, such as Naomi Watts, Heidi Klum and Milla Jovovich, who they consider not just beautiful women but women with depth
Ten Things You Might Not Know About Ann Taylor
- Ann Taylor was not a real person. The retail chain is names after a best-selling shirt dress style.
- In addition to woman and petite collections, Ann Taylor also sells bridal and maternity wear.
- The first Ann Taylor store opened in 1954, in the Hotel Taft In New Haven, CT.
- In an early example of brand collaboration, Ann Taylor partnered with Finnish design studio Marimekko on a collection in the 1960’s.
- In the 1970’s, the Ann Taylor shopping bag was induced into the Smithsonian’s permanent collection.
- Anyone with a valid college or graduate school ID receives 20 percent off their entire purchase of full-priced merchandise in stores until they graduate.
- Lisa Axelson, Ann Taylor’s creative director, has also designed for the Gap, Banana Republic, Club Monaco and Abercrombie & Fitch Ruehl.
- Before she was an Oscar-winning actress Geena Davis worked as a window mannequin for Ann Taylor’s flagship store on New York’s 57th Street in 1981.
- Julia Roberts was discovered while she was working in an Ann Taylor store in Georgia.
- Naomi Watts is the face of Ann Taylor for the fall of 2010, ad campaign. The collection she’s wearing is inspired by the Ernest Hemingway book “A Movable Feast.”
Under the direction of Lisa Axelson, the company is achieving a new look. Lisa listens to the public and visits as many Ann Taylor Loft stores as she has time for, so she knows what problems she must overcome, plus she knows her employees too. It seems like this new turn is a path to success, but only time will tell.
Change your wardrobe for a new look from Ann Taylor Clothes.
© 2010 Pamela Oglesby
More by this Author
The history of mens and women's bathing suits is shown with pictures. The history starts in the early 1900s with pictures of various bathing suits up to the current thong bikinis.
This article features comfortable and attractive sleepwear, plus lounge pants for men and women. Whether you are are wearing pjs, a nightgown or yoga pants for lounging or sleeping, comfort is great
Tibetan Monks developed Acupressure at least 5000 thousand of years ago. This is the most popular method for treating pain and pressure in the world. Acupressure points are shown and methods explained.