Antique Pocket Watch as a Gift
An Antique Pocket Watch can be a perfect gift to your dad, grand father, friends or just for collection. Yes, it's expensive and sophisticated, but antique pocket watch also has historical values which is priceless. For a person that so special, why don't we give him/her this unique and different antique pocket watch. I think woman may collect the pocket watch too, not just for man. I like pocket watch because it's really unique. I have read that many years ago, woman wore pocket watch as a necklace.
Best Antique Pocket Watch
There are at least ten pocket watch makers, but for the finest quality try Elgin Pocket Watch, Howard Pocket Watch, and the Railroad Pocket Watch.
Elgin Antique Pocket Watch
The company established in 1864 as the National Watch Company of Elgin. Then officially changed its name to the Elgin National Watch Company in 1874.
Example : The 1896 Elgin Size 16, Model 7, Grade "162" with 21 jewels. Stem wind, pendant set. Gold jewel settings and a gold train. It has a nice gold-filled open face case.
Howard Antique Pocket Watch
The pocket watch produced by E. Howard & Co in 1858 was different from the pocket watch before. It had a new and faster train, a top plate in two sections with 6 pillars. Compensated balance in size 18 and had movements marked with the letter "N" just for recognition purposes.
Example : Keystone Howard Series 11 "Railroad Chronometer". It is a size 16 with 21 jewels, is adjusted to temperature and 5 positions, and is stem wind and lever set. It is housed in an original Howard gold-filled swing out case.
Railroad Pocket Watch
Railroad Antique Pocket watch is very collectible. It is the highest grade watch that was made by the American watch companies in the late 1800s, almost 1900s. The Railroad watch had very specific dials and so valuable.
A Railroad pocket watch should have :
- A railroad watch had to be open faced, size 16 or 18.
- Have a minimum of 17 jewels, adjusted to at least five positions.
- Keep time accurately to within 30 seconds a week.
- Adjusted to temps of 34 to 100 degrees F.
- Have a double roller, steel escape wheel, lever set, regulator, winding stem at 12 o'clock, and have bold black Arabic numerals on a white dial, with black hands.
The standards are high to avoid accident like years ago in April 19, 1981 when two trains collided on the track in Ohio. Since that time, train engineers and train conductors had to keep a railway pocket watch.
Pocket Watch Information
What are jewels in pocket watch?
Jewels like diamonds, sapphires, and rubies are to hold the shaft of a pivot or wheel. Pocket Watch has many moving parts with wheels and pivots and also shafts that may cause wear. So, they need to be held in place. Watch makers usually use jewels to hold them, instead of using another metal.
More jewels are indicated the higher quality of the pocket watch. In general the higher the jewel count, the less wear and friction the watch will have, and the more accurate and long lasting the timepiece will be.
There are many different kind of jewels, but they are designed to reduce friction and wear on a moving metal part inside a mechanical watch. Each jewel will help the watch run more smoothly, more accurately and have a longer life.
Each jewel adds cost and complexity of pocket watch movement. More jewels mean higher price.
Buy Antique Pocket Watch Online
What to consider before buying antique pocket watch.
1. Consider does the antique pocket watch still work. Check if the pocket watch is repairable. Look if there is any markings on the movement, check how many jewels it has, if there is a maker name and etc.
2. Check the condition of the case. Is there any scratches, or heavy wear/ the decoration is worn away. Check if the cover opens past 90 degrees or not, do the cover close firmly or not. If there is any damage to the face of the watch, is there any cracks like pencil lines and if it is signed with the watchmakers name or not.
3. Check the condition of the glass or the crystal, is it damaged or not, and etc.
We'd better spend most time to learn about antique pocket watch before we'll buy one. Hope you will find your perfect pocket watch as a gift.
Antique 1920 ladies lapel watch Elgin
More by this Author
What I love most of the red-eared sliders (RES) are their beautiful color and different stripes of each RES. Their scientific's name is Chrysemys scripta elegans (or formerly Trachemys scripta elegans). Its origin is...
After watching some of Korean's Saeguk Dramas like Jewel in The Palace and The Great Queen Seon Deok, I've learned many things, like how Korean people really admire their history and culture that finally made me a total...
"If I walk, I hope my footsteps won't be erased just like that... I want many other footsteps will follow mine !" Anne Avantie What is Kebaya ? Kebaya is a traditional blouse worn by Indonesian and Malaysian...