Argan oil - Benefits of argan oil on hair, skin and nails
I'm in love with natural oils! I have been using jojoba oil, coconut oil and grapeseed oil for a while. I had been wanting to use the argan oil for a long time, but it was sooo expensive that I didn't think my pocket could afford it. However, one fortunate day, I went to Marshall's and found a 4oz. bottle of 100% all natural argan oil for half the price. Half the price !!
There were two bottles left, so I snatched them both.
I'm beginning to see why this oil is so expensive. It really works wonders for your hair, skin and even nails. Let me tell you more about argan oil so you can also fall in love with it...
What is argan oil?
Argan oil is also known as moroccan oil. It comes from the Argania Spinosa trees found in Morocco.
Argan oil is made up of 80% of essential fatty acids, which work wonders for your skin and overall health. It is also rich in Vitamin E, containing three times more vitamin E than olive oil. It is precisely because of this vitamin E and natural antioxidants content that Argan oil lasts a lot longer than any other oil.
For the geeks out there like me, here's a chart that tells you exactly how much of what you can find in argan oil, also known as liquid gold:
Gamma Linoleic acid
Argan oil is considered to be one of the most expensive oils in the world. Currently argan oil sells for 100 Euros per liter.
Now that you know those facts (which seem completely useless unless you're writing a report on it), let's move on to how it can improve your hair, skin and nails.
Enjoy this list:
- Argan oil moisturizes, smooths and revitalizes skin
- Great for all skin types. It's non-comedogenic (won't clog pores). It can even be used on baby skin to alleviate redness and irritation.
- Heals and disappears scars left behind by acne, chicken pox or anything like it.
- Prevents premature aging (wrinkles)
- Heals blemishes.
- Heals sunburn and the pain associated with it
- Heals cracked and scaly skin
- Protects against UVA rays
- Prevents stretch marks
- Great against dandruff and other fungi
- It's a great antiseptic to clean mild wounds
- Prevents hair loss by strengthening hair roots
- Accelerates hair growth
- Hydrates, moisturizes and strengthens hair
- Controls frizzy hair
- Restores skin and hair elasticity
- Great against acne, psoriasis and neurodermatitis
- Revitalizes and strengthens fragil nails
Interesting fact about argan oil and goats
In some places of Morocco, goats eat the fruit from the Argania Spinosa tree and spit out the bone or seed, which is where the oil comes from. After the goats spit the bone, it is then collected and turned into oil. Gross!
How to use Argan oil for your hair
Much like any other oil treatment, argan oil must be massaged into your scalp and used at least once a week. So let's through it step by step:
- Massage oil into scalp
- Comb hair to spread oil throughout the rest of your hair. If you have split ends, you may want to apply a little more argan oil to the ends of your hair.
- Cover you hair to keep the heat and make the treatment more effective. You can use plastic food wrap or a regular shower cap.
- Leave on for at least 30 minutes. The longer you leave the oil, the more effective the treatment.
- Wash your hair with neutral shampoo.
You can also apply argan oil to your hair before blow drying to add shine and volume to your hair. Since it is so light, it won't weigh you hair down like most oils do. Quite the opposite, it adds body and shine to your hair.
You can mix a little argan oil with the serum that you use before blow drying. I like to mix a little argan oil with a little jojoba oil (the ceramides in the jojoba oil protect your hair against heat) to my wet hair and then blow dry. It works great and leaves my hair super soft and manageable!
Also, you will start noticing new hair growth after just 2 months of using this treatment. Awesome!!
Argan oil for wrinkles
If you are targeting wrinkles with argan oil, don't forget to apply it around the eyes and on the expression lines (forehead, around your mouth, etc.)
How to use argan oil for your skin
Argan oil smooths and nourishes skin. And it prevents wrinkles! So you will really want to include it in your nightly routine. How?
- Massage a few drops of oil onto your face and neck. Your skin must be clean and dry for better results.
If you're too scared to apply the oil by itself, mix a few drops of argan oil with your moisturizer (either day or night moisturizer). You will see and feel the difference in a few days.
*If you have oily skin, don't overdo it. I have oily skin and I began applying argan oil at night. Since I loved the results so much, I also began using it as a day moisturizer...and then two big pimples started growing on my chin and cheek. So, if your skin is oily, apply argan oil only once a day. If your skin is normal or dry, you may want to apply it twice a day and see how it goes.
How to use argan oil on your nails
This treatment can be done as often as once per week.
- Mix equal parts of argan oil and lemon juice.
- Dip your nails for 15 minutes in this mixture
- And you're done!
This treatment will strengthen those flaky, peeling, annoying nails.
Argan oil before and after shaving
Massage oil to the area that you're about to shave, and proceed to shaving as usual. Argan oil will provide a film or barrier to prevent cuts, scrapes and irritation.
You can also use this oil after shaving, to keep your skin moisturized and itch free.
Argan oil for consumption
Argan oil has mild taste which makes it great for cooking. Some studies have shown that taking 2 tsps. of argan oil a day provides excellent health benefit and can even reduce cholesterol after one month of use due to its high content of linoleic acid.
Argan oil seems to be the thing right now and a lot of products are including it into their moisturizers and cosmetics. However, keep in mind that the best way to obtain all the benefits that it has to offer is to use in its purest form. Make sure that the oil you buy is virgin, pure and 100% natural. You can buy argan oil in some health stores, on-line and even Marshall's.
Keep experimenting with what nature has to offer and never cease to be amazed!
More by this Author
Need an almost magical moisturizer for hair and skin? Look no more! Jojoba oil is your answer!
Everybody wants wrinkle free skin. Read on for a few simple, cheap and natural ways to keep wrinkles away as long as possible.
Here it comes. Another month has gone by, and you know the monster is about to arrive. Everyone take cover!